cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for a student who has paid off 2 car loans and has 1 revolving account

tag
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice for a student who has paid off 2 car loans and has 1 revolving account

I didn't know BofA was hard to get. My first credit card was an AMEX at 21. I got a BofA cash rewards at 21. And now at 24, I just got a chase sapphire and a chase sapphire preferred.

Side note I have the regular chase bc I applied for it first thinking I was getting the preferred. I will PC it to a freedom in a years time.
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 11 of 13
dndandrea
Established Member

Re: Advice for a student who has paid off 2 car loans and has 1 revolving account

Thanks for all the replies. Apparently Chase does not offer free student checking where I live. I've went to the student checking page multiple times and it keeps telling me "this service is not avaiable in your area" whenever I insert my zipcode. What about Fifth Third's Cash Rewards Mastercard? No checking account fees, no annual credit card fees, and it has cash back. I'd much rather have a traditional bank with a checking account than an online bank.

Also, I apologize for this dumb question, but: How does credit cards like Citi, Discover, and American Express work? I'm used to seeing credit cards through traditional banks. Can anyone with any bank sign up for these cards? I assume you just have  to do everything manually such as transferring money from your bank to their account? I've always searched for this but could never find an explanation of how it works.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dndandrea wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. Apparently Chase does not offer free student checking where I live. I've went to the student checking page multiple times and it keeps telling me "this service is not avaiable in your area" whenever I insert my zipcode. What about Fifth Third's Cash Rewards Mastercard? No checking account fees, no annual credit card fees, and it has cash back. I'd much rather have a traditional bank with a checking account than an online bank.

Also, I apologize for this dumb question, but: How does credit cards like Citi, Discover, and American Express work? I'm used to seeing credit cards through traditional banks. Can anyone with any bank sign up for these cards? I assume you just have  to do everything manually such as transferring money from your bank to their account? I've always searched for this but could never find an explanation of how it works.

I think you are confusing a credit card with a debit card that is issued through you banking account. But to answer your question, yes you can apply for credit cards from companies such as Citi, Discover, Amex, and chase without having a bank account with them.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.