Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for card app strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for card app strategy

I've been gardening and monitoring this board periodically and I think I decided on my target combo for cards:

- Chase Trifecta (would prefer the Reserve, but could settle for the Preferred and upgrade later)

- USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AmEx (for 5% on gas)

- Amazon Prime Visa Signature (for 5% on Amazon purchases)

I currently only have one of these cards (Amazon). I am currently 3/24 and will be 1/24 in March if I do not app before then. The VAST majority of the inquiries listed in my signature will be gone by Dec, which is why im considering working towards this end goal. USAA does not allow for PCs and I'd need to app for the new card instead.

Was hoping to get some feedback on the order of operations to achieve this and how long to wait in between apps. Signature is updated, but I don't have a FICO TU score, so it's Vantage. Thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice for card app strategy

I'd grab one Chase card every six months. That'll give you the trifecta in a 13-month period. I think waiting until March is preferable but that you could probably start this around January if you've seen that your inquiries have disappeared.

Message 2 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would go for the Reserve as soon as those inquiries start disappearing from your reports; it may be the following month. Chase usually likes to see existing credit lines of $10k+ for the card but you are close. My suggestion would be to go for that one first, and if declined go for the CSP. Depending on your travel and restaurant spending, that extra point can really add up the first year while you wait to be eligible for the upgrade.  I did the upgrade but that was because I was LOL/24 and had a green check mark offer for CSP before Chase began offering them for CSR.

After that I would space new Chase apps out by 6 months and go for the USAA card after you get the CSR or CSP.

You might want to enroll in Chase Credit Journey if you have not already. While it offers yet another FAKO score, preapprovals do happen for many who are enrolled.

Message 3 of 12
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Are USAA CLI increases HP and EQ? If that is the case, based on the profile in the sig, a CLI might be helpful to push past that 10k mark.

Message 4 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the OP's current limits will be fine to support a CSR application. Chase frequently dislikes handing out one's highest limit. But we see exceptions. And they're in cases like this where there's a combination of age and credit card thinness.

I believe that Chase will see @Anonymous as someone who "needs" a new card with a high limit. But as mentioned, if that doesn't work out, follow up by applying for the CSP.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You might want to enroll in Chase Credit Journey if you have not already. While it offers yet another FAKO score, preapprovals do happen for many who are enrolled.

when i try to sign up for that they demand a cell#. could i put a home phone number there instead or do they text message a verification code to prevent that?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I believe that Chase will see @Anonymous as someone who "needs" a new card with a high limit. 

Appreciate all the advice everyone. @HeavenOhio can you explain what you mean by this?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

when i try to sign up for that they demand a cell#. could i put a home phone number there instead or do they text message a verification code to prevent that?

I've never been asked to use a verification code, but Ionly access it by logging into my Chase account. Not sure if that helps.

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I'm enrolled and currently have no prequal offer or green check marks in the "Just for You" section. Hence my apprehension to cold app.

Message 8 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I believe that Chase will see @Anonymous as someone who "needs" a new card with a high limit. 

Appreciate all the advice everyone. @HeavenOhio can you explain what you mean by this?

I think they're going to see you as someone whose limits are underserving him.

Message 9 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That I am not sure of since I use my Chase login for it.  They might text verification codes and enroll you in SMS alerts (which you should be able to opt out of).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.