Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for my next card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for my next card?

Hi All,

I'm a 20 year old college student and I have 2 credit cards (Discover IT Student and JetBlue Mastercard) I am looking to add one, two or a few more cards to my wallet either now or in June when I turn 21. I'm looking for a general spend card and something that can help me maximize rewards for travel. I have already been able to redeem a free roundtrip flight from NY to Las Vegas with the help of my JetBlue card and I would like to broaden my opportunities for redeeming. While JetBlue is my hometown airline and they have a good variety of flights they don't always serve everywhere I need/want to go and I usually fly the cheapest airline regardless. It would also be nice to have the opportunity to redeem for hotels as well, but it isn't a big deal if it just focuses on airlines or hotels exclusively. Like I said I generally go with the cheapest, but I prefer Marriott hotels in general. I was looking at maybe the AMEX PRG, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Capital One Venture, Capital One Quicksilver, and the Chase Marriott card. I went online to the AMEX website and I was prequalified for the everyday card with a solid APR of 18.24%, the BCE card, and the PRG card. I know prequals aren't guaranteed but I feel like the solid APR is a good sign. I would like to stay away from an annual fee if possible, nevertheless, I am willing to get an AF card if it's worth it. Far and away my biggest spending categories are restaurants and travel then miscellaneous spending like on books, entertainment and Amazon purchases. Any tips or suggestions are very much welcomed and appreciated!

Some stats, my first card was the discover it student card in August 2015 (just got a cli) that has a 4,600 limit 14.49% APR. Next card was JetBlue Mastercard May 2016 with a $1,500 limit and a 22.24% APR. So I have one hard pull on my record as of now but it falls off in May and I have a 755 TU and 767 EQ I'd probably put down like $30,000ish for income. I have no baddies, lates or delinquencies. Squeaky clean but thin file I'm not an authorized user on any cards nor have I been so everything I have as far as credit is all me. Thank you all in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice for my next card?

I think you've got an okay shot at the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Very versatile travel card.
Message 2 of 3
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Advice for my next card?

You definitely would want to go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and maybe even the Reserve because you sound like someone who would use the $300 credit and then be able to get positive value on the effective $150 AF. I might go with getting the Freedom first though to establish a relationship with Chase. Use the Freedom for a few months and then apply for one of those Sapphire cards.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.