Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for next card. Thin file. 3/24

tag
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice for next card. Thin file. 3/24

@Citylights18 wrote:

Chase SL is mostly tied to income. Then certain cards have more SL like the CSP with a minimum of 5,000.

Then once you have the card and PIF for 120 days they should grant you an auto CLI so don't worry about the starting limit. Unless you don't think you can make the SUB with those limits. They could start you tiny with a Freedom so it might be better just pulling the trigger for the CSP.

CSR is a waste of time at a AF of $550 unless you plan to gorge yourself on the airport lounge benefit. CSP has the bigger SUB bonus as well with most of the same insurance protections.

I've never thought about taking that strategy before. Since CSP starts at 5k is opening that first a better way to guarantee that CF/CFU open at higher limits later?

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are definitely exceptions and it’s possible but I’ve seen many denials with Young Files with Chase. Whatever you do I wish you the best and hope it turns out well.
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it’s not a guarantee. I got my CSP first. When I got my freedom it was slightly lower.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had them since 2018. I’ve never gotten an auto CLI and I always PIF.
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes your eight year checking relationship will definitely help. You could probably get it in branch approval.

You might even get online approval with that history. If that’s what you want, go for it since you have that history, but if you didn’t have that history, I wouldn’t recommend it at all until you had two years under your belt. But like I said there are exceptions they obviously like MrPepperonis file.

Chase also likes to give you a decent SL that they’re comfortable with to begin with. Their auto CLIs are very rare. High limits beget high limits. That’s why I would grab the NFCU and the AmEX and then sit on it a 6 months to a year with SP CLIs and grab my Chase.

Remember it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon.
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Steven, Thanks for your feeedback.

@Anonymous wrote:

I would go for Option 1. Your file should be prime for a Chase Freedom or CFU card while you are under 5/24. And then the CIP or CSP. After that, you can always go for NFCU and Amex, since they don't care about 5/24.

This was my initial thought process as well. Though, since Chase does not like to lead with higher SL's, I wasn't sure if sticking a NFCU card in the mix would help me pry open a higher SL right from the begining instead of being bucketed with a possible token limit. 

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

The x3 for 20,000 spend/12 months on Chase Freedom Unlimited is nice.....I'm still under my bonus albeit by 1,000 dollars and I was approved for the card on 6/7/19. 

Since its been a full 12 months you could also upgrade that Capital One Platinum Reserve to a Quicksilver 1.5% cash back or maybe a Savor if you go in branch. The AF version of the Savor is 4% dine and the non-AF is 3% dine.

Hi Sky,

I also like the idea of x3 20,000 first year. 

Unfortunately, Cap One does not upgrade any secured cards. (I found this out right after I was aproved and would have had to re-pull to apply for the unsecured.) Cap one also does not allow CLI's above the auto $300 they give you during first year. It is my understanding this card caps a $1300. which is frustrating. 

I like the idea of the Savor (and am pre aproved), but my Amex Gold takes care of that same spend. I also would rather not get the 3 hp's Cap1 does. 

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No it’s not a guarantee. I got my CSP first. When I got my freedom it was slightly lower.

That's interesting info. Thanks. 

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LateStarter And I got the best APR on my CSP but my Freedom had a higher APR unfortunately that they’re not willing to budge on apparently. But in their defense, I think I did have a loan and a card in between there so...
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No due to the timing they may have only seen the loan, but they did see the HP for the card. And it was only two months later.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.