Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for next credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for next credit card

Hi everyone,

After some years of patience, persistence and no new inquiries, I finally purchased a home this weekend. Now that I've got that part out of the way, I'm looking to add a good all-around credit card to my portfolio. Nothing specific as far as rewards, more interested in the best cash back at this point as I continue my journey.

Scores are currently 735, 751 and 772 (mortgage just closed yesterday, so hasn't hit the score yet). I currently have:

Disco: Started at 1K in 2018, now $13,700

Cap 1 Quicksilver: Started at $500 in 2018, now $5200

Cap 1 Quicksilver One: Started at $500 in 2019, just got a $3k bump yesterday to $3700.

Credit One (I know): Started at $500 in 2019 now $1350. Now that credit is rebuilt and house is purchased, might close this one when it comes time for the AF.

I was looking at the Costco CITI card, but read mixed reviews. Any thoughts on another major card that is a good all around one?

Great advice on these forums and to those looking for a quick fix (I was totally there 4 years ago with scores in the low 500s), I cannot overemphasize how much patience pays off!! Stick with it and you'll get there. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice for next credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

After some years of patience, persistence and no new inquiries, I finally purchased a home this weekend. Now that I've got that part out of the way, I'm looking to add a good all-around credit card to my portfolio. Nothing specific as far as rewards, more interested in the best cash back at this point as I continue my journey.

Scores are currently 735, 751 and 772 (mortgage just closed yesterday, so hasn't hit the score yet). I currently have:

Disco: Started at 1K in 2018, now $13,700

Cap 1 Quicksilver: Started at $500 in 2018, now $5200

Cap 1 Quicksilver One: Started at $500 in 2019, just got a $3k bump yesterday to $3700.

Credit One (I know): Started at $500 in 2019 now $1350. Now that credit is rebuilt and house is purchased, might close this one when it comes time for the AF.

I was looking at the Costco CITI card, but read mixed reviews. Any thoughts on another major card that is a good all around one?

Great advice on these forums and to those looking for a quick fix (I was totally there 4 years ago with scores in the low 500s), I cannot overemphasize how much patience pays off!! Stick with it and you'll get there. 

PenFed Power Cash Rewards

Citi Double Cash or Custom Cash

Chase Freedom Unlimited

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

AOD Visa Signature, FNBO Evergreen

Message 3 of 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Fidelity 2%

Chase Freedom Flex

Message 4 of 9
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

If CB is your goal and, assuming you don't mind a little card juggling, close anything with an AF, and get a nice 2% CB minimum card (there is the 2.5% Alliant with some hoops and the 3.0% AOD with some initial hoops), and suppliment it with some rotating 5% CB cards (Citi CC, Freedom, Nusenda, etc.).  Good luck.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 9
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Take a look at the bofa custom cash, or another card that allows category changes

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 6 of 9
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

@SouthernCredit wrote:

AOD Visa Signature, FNBO Evergreen

I'll also add that, if you're already a Costco shopper, the Citi Costco card is a no-brainer. 4% on gas, 3% on travel/dining, 2% at Costco. Coupled with an executive membership giving another 2% back at Costco, these rewards can add up quick. The only real downside is that you can only use the rewards at Costco. But I only use mine for Costco and gas (gas bonus is good at ANY gas station, not just Costco stations), and I end up with between $400-600 in rewards every year from simple organic spend. I know heavy shoppers getting more than that as well. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the additional follow-up, @SouthernCredit ! Actually while waiting out the mortgage process, the Citi Costco had been one of the first ones on my mind to jump back into, as I am a regular shopper there (nothing insane, but regular, especially for gas). Just wasn't sure of the overall feedback on it. 

Appreciate the extra insight!

Message 8 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

BCP is a very good card and they have enough perks so you can get the AF back!

But as a home owner, you may want to get HomeDepot or Lowes card! Also Amazon Prime would be useful for the new house 😎

Congrats on the house 👍👍

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.