Did you mean: 

Advice from the pros on closing cards please

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Advice from the pros on closing cards please

Hey everyone....

I've decided to close 7 store cards because I don't want them, and my goal in recovery is major cards with higher limits, not a bunch of store low limit cards.  These cards were  opened all within the last 6 months. It will not affect my overall utilization which is currently at 1%, If that.  Does it look bad to have all of them closed around the same time, or should I close a few every month or so??  I will be sending actual letters to close these accounts. Just wondering if it will "alarm" my major cards that 7 store cards were closed at the same time??? Or does it matter... Advice or comments pleaseSmiley Happy

Closing out: 

kohls 

von maur

fingerhut

marathon gas 

gordmans 

the limited 

commerce bank secured visa ( I have unsecured major cards) 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice from the pros on closing cards please

I don't really know how individual issuers will react (if at all) but unless there is a pressing need to close them now, I would suggest closing them over a period of months, just for safety.   May be unnecessary caution, but if there is no reason not to...

Message 2 of 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Advice from the pros on closing cards please

Thank you! There's no urgent need except if I come up for cli in the future I want to knockoff the number of account I have open. I went a little crazy after my BK 7 discharge, obtaining accounts from the very same lenders that I burned and I was so happy lol!! But now that I have majors, I'm concentrating on those and few a GE cards that I do use religiously. I gues ill close 2-3 a month or every other month just to be safe. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.