Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice getting Wells Fargo Cash Wise

tag
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

Advice getting Wells Fargo Cash Wise

I plan to apply for Well Fargo's Cash Wise Visa Card at the end of next month. I have an invitation to apply by 7/27.

I am trying to improve my chances of being approved and also getting as large an SL as I can.These are my current FICO 8 scores:

• EX 651
  • TU 684 (+42 yesterday! ($700 medical collection paid off))
  • EQ 703

Do you think doing either or both of the following would improve my credit scores before I apply?

1. Combining two Quicksilver cards(1500 & 2000) into one card
  2. Getting a Share Secured Loan from NFCU and paying down to 8.9% prior to 7/27. (I currently have a car loan)

Regarding (1), how would this effect my free BTs on my second QS? I have these until Nov.
Regarding (2), I could do up to $3000.

So, I have been rebuilding since last July. These are my current cards and the balances they are reporting:

• Quicksilver 0/1500, 10 statements(will have 2 more by the time I apply)
  • Quicksilver 1885/2000(2500 in early July), 4 statements
  • Discover It (secured) 0/600, 9 statements(will have 1 more)
  • JCPenney 58/500, open since Dec

The JCP is paid off now, and the second QS was paid down to $120, so hoping for a boost when it reports. The statement cut yesterday.

Will maybe try to get a CLI on fist QS(it started as platinum). Might even wait until JCP reports to ask for the CLI.

Is there anyting I can do with what I have to help make sure of an approval and a good SL? Thanks. Love this community.

We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice getting Wells Fargo Cash Wise

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

I plan to apply for Well Fargo's Cash Wise Visa Card at the end of next month. I have an invitation to apply by 7/27.

I am trying to improve my chances of being approved and also getting as large an SL as I can.These are my current FICO 8 scores:

• EX 651
  • TU 684 (+42 yesterday! ($700 medical collection paid off))
  • EQ 703

Do you think doing either or both of the following would improve my credit scores before I apply?

1. Combining two Quicksilver cards(1500 & 2000) into one card
  2. Getting a Share Secured Loan from NFCU and paying down to 8.9% prior to 7/27. (I currently have a car loan)

Regarding (1), how would this effect my free BTs on my second QS? I have these until Nov.
Regarding (2), I could do up to $3000.

So, I have been rebuilding since last July. These are my current cards and the balances they are reporting:

• Quicksilver 0/1500, 10 statements(will have 2 more by the time I apply)
  • Quicksilver 1885/2000(2500 in early July), 4 statements
  • Discover It (secured) 0/600, 9 statements(will have 1 more)
  • JCPenney 58/500, open since Dec

The JCP is paid off now, and the second QS was paid down to $120, so hoping for a boost when it reports. The statement cut yesterday.

Will maybe try to get a CLI on fist QS(it started as platinum). Might even wait until JCP reports to ask for the CLI.

Is there anyting I can do with what I have to help make sure of an approval and a good SL? Thanks. Love this community.

@HappyBuilder42 

1. Capital One is not doing account combinations.

2. You have a open installment loan (auto). SSL would be redundant. Plus, I'm guessing your aggregate utilization would still exceed 8.9% utilization if you got the SSL.

If you are able to get into Navy, why do you want to get a Cash Wise with 1.5% cash back?

Navy's Cash Reward is 1.5%. Looser on the score requirement and keys to the vault.

Here's my view with lending practice.

Wells Fargo-tight

Navy-loose

ETA You have 2 Quicksilver 1.5% cash back cards. I'm all for diversifying lenders. Maybe try selectable cash back categories, 1, 2, 3%, etc?

Message 2 of 10
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

1. thanks

2. True. Car loan is at about 80% right now. Can it hurt anything if I do get it? Even if just to start borrowing from NFCU.

I like the 15 mos 0% and $150 of CW (and the color yellow if I'm honest). Eventually, I do want More Rewards.

Back to the garden
Message 3 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

1. thanks

2. True. Car loan is at about 80% right now. Can it hurt anything if I do get it? Even if just to start borrowing from NFCU.

I like the 15 mos 0% and $150 of CW (and the color yellow if I'm honest). Eventually, I do want More Rewards.

1. You are welcome.

2. It won't hurt (will lower your AAoA), nor will it help (may help with building a relationship with Navy). It'll be your secured funds that will be used, not Navy's.

I'm not trying to steer you either way. The decision is it up to you. I just want you to have better odds at approval and give you data so you can be more informed.

Data Points for Navy cards. Primarily, they'll HP TU9 for CC application. For all I know, they could hand out a $500 starting credit limit.

Navy Platinum has a 0% APR on BT for only 12 months. No SUB, though.

Cash Rewards has $150 SUB and 0% APR for purchases for 6 months. No BT promotion.

Message 4 of 10
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

Yes the idea is to build a relationship with Navy. Will do the SSL after the CW app. If I knew it would help even a little I'd do it today.

I appreciate the data. My reasoning is if Navy is easier to get then try the harder one first.

Back to the garden
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would most likely have to pay down that card with 1800 balance

Whats suppressing that ex score depending on where you are they may pull ex 658 probably will not bring home the bacon with wells fargo

Message 6 of 10
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats suppressing that ex score depending on where you are they may pull ex 658 probably will not bring home the bacon with wells fargo

That card with 1800 balance was paid down to 120 prior to the statment cutting on the 10th. With 58 on JCP, that puts me at 4% util. I'm hoping for it to start reporting any day now.

I can have all my July statements to be at any balance I want - if there's a magic mix, I'd like to know. I will probably just go AZEO with $25 on one the first QS, when it reports next month. The second QS gets 500 auto CLI after the July bill is paid. There's not going to be an amount due on that bill.

Back to the garden
Message 7 of 10
HappyBuilder42
Valued Member

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That card with 1800 balance was paid down to 120 prior to the statment cutting on the 10th. With 58 on JCP, that puts me at 4% util. I'm hoping for it to start reporting any day now.

It happened. EX +66 for balance decrease.

Back to the garden
Message 8 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

@HappyBuilder42 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It happened. EX +66 for balance decrease.

That's a great score increase!

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As OP has now been approved this thread is closed to further comment.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/WF-CW-Sig-Approval/td-p/6055171

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.