cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed. Citi CLI with high balance possible?

tag
babymixer
Regular Contributor

Advice needed. Citi CLI with high balance possible?

I'm fairly new to the credit game.  I have a Citi Diamond Preferred with a $4700 limit on it.  I had to buy something urgently on it which pushed up my balance to almost 80% of my CL.  I've never been late with any payment and often pay off more than is requested.  I've had this card since January and was considering asking for a CLI since I've passed the 6 month mark.  With my balance that high, it's affecting my scores and I would like to even it out some.

It would probably take me 4 months to clear the balance.  Now my question is this. Should I wait before asking for the CLI or should I pull the trigger as I've never been late with a payment.  Oh, I also received this card with the 0%APR for 18 months, BT offer on it.

What do you credit whizzes think?

cc's copy
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice needed. Citi CLI with high balance possible?

I have a Citi simplicity card since Feb. Hit the luv button on Citi today one day after 6th statement cut. Went from $6200 to $12200 with about 60% UTL.  Got 30 minute message but approved in 5 mins

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 2 of 7
stone
Regular Contributor

@rudy0720 wrote:

I have a Citi simplicity card since Feb. Hit the luv button on Citi today one day after 6th statement cut. Went from $6200 to $12200 with about 60% UTL.  Got 30 minute message but approved in 5 mins

How much do you requested? counter offered?

Message 3 of 7
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

ive had the citi simplicity with a $2,000 limit since october last year and i requested a cli a month ago for a $2,000 increase and I had a $500 balance on the card and I got denied for various reasons like aaoa and inquiries on my credit report I dont think they do soft pulls anymore since it listed equifax as the cra used for the decision and when i pulled the report for free when you get denied credit it showed up as a hard inquiry not a soft

amazon
Message 4 of 7
babymixer
Regular Contributor

bump

cc's copy
Message 5 of 7
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Im in the same boat as you. Im sitting at 80% now and requested the CLI when I was at nearly 95%. Needless to say, I was denied. Only reason was because of the high balance. Im going to wait until its 30% or lower and then ask again.

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 6 of 7
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Might also depend on what your UTIL overall is. If its just that card that's high, I'd go for it personally. If my UTIL across the board was real high, I'd wait.

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.