cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed for family member: Get a balance transfer CC or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed for family member: Get a balance transfer CC or not?

My family member has been slowly paying off a credit card debt for a long time. In about a year or less, she is expecting a large inheritance which will allow her to wipe out her debt, but in the meantime, she is scrimping and saving. I've urged her to consider a balance transfer. (She says "I can't believe I'm taking credit advice from you!" LOL since my credit is such a mess.)

Data Points:

TU Fico 8: 750 

Long credit history. Probably 20 years.

Just one credit card currently.

No derogs, ever.

Low income (a little under $20,000)

About 11,000 debt on a 29,000 limit credit card with BofA. Her utilization is higher than it should be, but not super high.

It's fairly certain that she will get the inheritance in a year or so. I think she should try to do a balance transfer, pay the minimum until the money comes in and then pay it all off. Right now it looks like she pays about $100 in interest a month. That just seems wasteful.

Her worry is that she only can budget about $250 a month to pay her credit card. She's worried that if she has to pay two cards off instead of one, she won't have enough money to pay even the minimums. I have no idea how much the minimums would be on two cards. It would depend on the balances of each, I guess. Also, she sometimes has to charge a few new things on her card to make it through the month. (I know, that's bad.) 

She's been preapproved for several cards that offer balance transfers (Discover, USBank) but I think the best offer is AMEX Everyday Card with no balance transfer fee and 15 months 0% interest. Citibank and CapitalOne had nothing for her. I suspect that she should try anyway, at least with Citibank. She has no recent inquiries.

I told her I'd get wisdom from the MyFICO people on what to do! Any help you can give, she would appreciate. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Advice needed for family member: Get a balance transfer CC or not?

I am not sure how high a limit she could get with a BT offer with her income being 20K??

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's the thing... I have no idea either! 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

She's highly unlikely to get enough of a limit to be able to BT and if she's in so deep that she's having to use her card to be able to make ends meet, she shouldn't be adding a second card.

I know from personal experience that Bank of America can be extremely unpleasant to deal with when you have a balance but has she asked for an APR reduction?

Right now she is flirting with disaster, it might be time to call a non-profit debt counselor. I know that debt management programs can seem like a drastic step but a buddy of mine entered one and had his highest interest slashed to 4.99% and he has two cards at 1.99% with payments he can actually manage and money left for expenses and incidentals. He was previously having to make payments and then charge up a good portion of the payments he was making, basically just feeding the interest.

Hedging your financial stability on an inheritance coming doesn't seem like the most responsible thing to me.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice! I will tell her!
Message 5 of 6
joltdude
Senior Contributor

A BT might be an option but there needs to be a budget with no room for floating purchases...

And theres a lot of ifs... the person *could* make it work to their advantage,but not if they are continuing to spend beyond their means...

BTW I wouldnt go with Amex for that long of a lingering balance on a BT, even if you could get a high enough CL...(Think Discover would be a good option for a long term BT but they are NOT likely to get that much out of the gate) but that is after the other issues are addressed first.. the coulda woulda shouldas are good if they come through but you need to deal with the now not a crystal ball prediction.. Do not make a mistake that it will come through at all, or at the amount stated, or in time to pay off a zero offer... 

THough said person needs financial/credit counseling not just a BT.....

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.