Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Cap1

tag
Vaetrian

Advice on Cap1

Hello there, long time lurker, first time poster

I've got several questions regarding my Cap1 card and what I should do.

Just a quick info about my CC history

• Own 2 CC both by Capital One both with a CL of 750 (through the credit steps program). One is the Playstation Card and the other is Capital One Platinum Card (which I got from mail offer)
  • Playstation Card I've owned since October '12
  • Capital One Platinum Card I've owned since February '12
  • No late payments and always paid in full
  • My annual income is give or take ~7k as I currently work as a part timer and since I currently live with my parents I'm in luck so there are no rents
  • Unfortunately I do not have/know my current FICO scores as of now (though I am planning to get it sometime soon)

Anyway, back on topic, as I do many online shopping from stores outside of the US, Capital One has been great for me as there is no FTF. However I realized that since I buy a lot of things with my CC, it would be great if I am able to get some rewards (cashback). So, sometime late April/early May (I don't remember the exact month, but based on my denial letter, it said May 9th as the date) I tried applying for the Capital One cash reward (the green card/jimmy fallon card) and was denied, their sole reason being

• Based on the credit report from one or more of the following agencies for <name>, there is insufficient credit history.

along with the mail, they also said my credit score is 724 as of 5/9/13 from TU. So I decided to wait and let my card age.

Now, I am thinking of applying for the Quicksilver (visa) as my CC AAoA is ~12 months if I counted correctly.

Now comes the questions,

First, since Cap1 only list "insufficient credit history" as my only reason for denial, is that really be THE only reason or could they just put that as the reason because it is the main reason? for example, let say I apply for the Quicksilver(since it seems the Quicksilver replaced the cash reward card) and get denied again, would they give me the same denial again? (assuming nothing has changed and other than my AAoA still not being deem sufficient enough for them).

Secondly, since the 1.5% cashback would really be beneficial for me, what would you suggest I do? Wait a couple months to increase my AAOA even more? Get a different card? (If so any good suggestions for cards where there is no AF or FTFs with cashbacks)? Should I try to see if my Platinum Card is able to be PC to the QuicksilverOne (mastercard)? I tried their online chat couple days back, but she pretty much just told me how I can just check that myself; though of course it says no "offers"(I haven't tried again since).

Thirdly, if let say I just go ahead and apply for the QuicksilverOne what are the chances of me being able to waive the annual fee?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on Cap1

@Vaetrian wrote:

• Own 2 CC both by Capital One both with a CL of 750 (through the credit steps program). One is the Playstation Card and the other is Capital One Platinum Card (which I got from mail offer)
  • My annual income is give or take ~7k as I currently work as a part timer and since I currently live with my parents I'm in luck so there are no rents
  • Unfortunately I do not have/know my current FICO scores as of now (though I am planning to get it sometime soon)

Anyway, back on topic, as I do many online shopping from stores outside of the US, Capital One has been great for me as there is no FTF. However I realized that since I buy a lot of things with my CC, it would be great if I am able to get some rewards (cashback). So, sometime late April/early May (I don't remember the exact month, but based on my denial letter, it said May 9th as the date) I tried applying for the Capital One cash reward (the green card/jimmy fallon card) and was denied, their sole reason being

• Based on the credit report from one or more of the following agencies for <name>, there is insufficient credit history.

along with the mail, they also said my credit score is 724 as of 5/9/13 from TU. So I decided to wait and let my card age.

Now, I am thinking of applying for the Quicksilver (visa) as my CC AAoA is ~12 months if I counted correctly.

Now comes the questions,

First, since Cap1 only list "insufficient credit history" as my only reason for denial, is that really be THE only reason or could they just put that as the reason because it is the main reason? for example, let say I apply for the Quicksilver(since it seems the Quicksilver replaced the cash reward card) and get denied again, would they give me the same denial again? (assuming nothing has changed and other than my AAoA still not being deem sufficient enough for them).

Secondly, since the 1.5% cashback would really be beneficial for me, what would you suggest I do? Wait a couple months to increase my AAOA even more? Get a different card? (If so any good suggestions for cards where there is no AF or FTFs with cashbacks)? Should I try to see if my Platinum Card is able to be PC to the QuicksilverOne (mastercard)? I tried their online chat couple days back, but she pretty much just told me how I can just check that myself; though of course it says no "offers"(I haven't tried again since).

Thirdly, if let say I just go ahead and apply for the QuicksilverOne what are the chances of me being able to waive the annual fee?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Question why CAP1 you have 2 accounts with them now?

IMHO you should seek credit elsewhere to diversify.

Of course you could try to PC the plat to quicksilver another option via secure message 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
Vaetrian

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

Now comes the questions,

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Of course you could try to PC the plat to quicksilver another option via secure message 

Thanks for the greetings!

As for why I have 2 accounts with Cap1, it's because the Platinum was my first card, Cap1 was pretty much the only one who gave me a mail offer, so I went for it. As for the Playstation card, I own a PS3 and buy a lot from PSN, I figured receiving 10x points for PSN purchases and 1x points on everything else would benefit me.

Message 3 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Vaetrian wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

Now comes the questions,

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

As for why I have 2 accounts with Cap1, it's because the Platinum was my first card, Cap1 was pretty much the only one who gave me a mail offer, so I went for it. As for the Playstation card, I own a PS3 and buy a lot from PSN, I figured receiving 10x points for PSN purchases and 1x points on everything else would benefit me.

I'm sorry I should have been clearer............why do you want another cap1 card is what I meant ...that old saying don't put alll eggs in 1 basket

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 14
Vaetrian

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

Now comes the questions,

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

I'm sorry I should have been clearer............why do you want another cap1 card is what I meant ...that old saying don't put alll eggs in 1 basket

The next card does not have to be another Cap1 card, it's just that the only card I know that gives cashback with no AF and no FTF is from Cap1. For example, when I tried to see if I was prequalified for any of Bank of America's CC, it says that I am qualified for the BankAmericard Cash Reward, though they do not have AF unfortunately they charge 3% FTF.

Message 5 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Vaetrian wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Vaetrian wrote:

Now comes the questions,

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

The next card does not have to be another Cap1 card, it's just that the only card I know that gives cashback with no AF and no FTF is from Cap1. For example, when I tried to see if I was prequalified for any of Bank of America's CC, it says that I am qualified for the BankAmericard Cash Reward, though they do not have AF unfortunately they charge 3% FTF.

I could be wrong but I think Discover also has no FTF fee

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1 Discover.
Agreed on the CapOne. You have 2 already. I do not know however if Discover has a minimum income requirement but I suppose it has it written somewhere on the T&C. With your credit profile- I think you would be approved. Discover = no FTF.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
+1 Discover.
Agreed on the CapOne. You have 2 already. I do not know however if Discover has a minimum income requirement but I suppose it has it written somewhere on the T&C. With your credit profile- I think you would be approved. Discover = no FTF.

But internationally over all, much less acceptance than a Visa or MC, so depending on the sites used, this might not be a good option.

Edit: For example, amazon UK lists as acceptable cards:

• Visa
  • Delta
  • Visa Electron
  • MasterCard
  • EuroCard
  • American Express
  • UK based Maestro and Solo cards
Message 8 of 14
Vaetrian

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1 Discover.

But internationally over all, much less acceptance than a Visa or MC, so depending on the sites used, this might not be a good option.

• Visa
  • Delta
  • Visa Electron
  • MasterCard
  • EuroCard
  • American Express

This is one of the downside of Discover I've seen so far, the sites I used does not accept Discover, the other being a 10k income requirement unless a student (which I'm currently am not, but planning to go back to finish up). Though it does lead me to another question.

I've seen some posts around here that if a store accepts JCB they also accepts Discover or was it the other way around? If so, does it extend to online stores or just retail stores? because the sites I shop from do accept JCB cards.

Message 9 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Vaetrian wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1 Discover.

• Visa
  • Delta
  • Visa Electron
  • MasterCard
  • EuroCard
  • American Express

This is one of the downside of Discover I've seen so far, the sites I used does not accept Discover, the other being a 10k income requirement unless a student (which I'm currently am not, but planning to go back to finish up). Though it does lead me to another question.

I've seen some posts around here that if a store accepts JCB they also accepts Discover or was it the other way around? If so, does it extend to online stores or just retail stores? because the sites I shop from do accept JCB cards.

Hey... I did a little research and I found that Discover is accepted any where Diners Club or JCB is accepted.  

• Discover has the highest acceptance among the top 100 U.S. retailers
  • Discover has millions of loyal cardmembers throughout North America
  • Over 5,000 new merchants start accepting Discover each day
  • There are over 30 issuers of Discover cards and the number continues to grow
  • Over 900,000 Pulse ATMs worldwide
  • Diners Club is accepted in over 185 countries, and territories
  • JCB honors Discover on its network of over 1 million Japanese merchants and ATMs
  • China UnionPay provides Discover access to all ATMs and electronic payment merchantsin Mainland China

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.