cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on How to Go From Zero to Mortgage through Credit Building

tag
jenrenea

Advice on How to Go From Zero to Mortgage through Credit Building

I'm a woman in my early 30s who spent my early 20s mismanaging credit cards.  By the time I was 23, a long-term hospitalization (after coma) and repeated major mistakes financially landed me in a world of trouble with creditors.  Nearly every account I had (medical collections and store credit cards) was charged off.  I negotiated and paid them off, but it took years and my credit was utterly shot.  Fortunately, I grew up, managed money better, and my husband has a high income and we enjoy a very comfortable life and pay cash for everything including our college educations and cars.  Unfortunately, paying cash for a home in our area of New England is not really in the cards with four children, nor do I think it's the best use of our resources to clean everything out.  The house we live in we have a lease option for, which is why actually having credit matters now, as we'd like to own it.  The sooner we can purchase it, the less money we are sticking towards rent.  

Fast forward to about two months ago and I was purchasing something at J. Crew and received a pop up saying I was pre-approved.  I hadn't had anything in my name in probably 8-10 years.  I decided it couldn't hurt my already horrible credit (the three scores averaged to 512) and went for it.  I then utilized this forum to read more about the so- called "shopping cart trick" and after opening Victoria's Secret ($350), J. Crew ($300), and Overstock ($750), decided to just say "what the hell" and applied for credit at Blue Nile, (I was purchasing something anyways and was approved for $1000) and finally, my very first "real" card and received a Capital One visa ($300, but it stated that after 6 on time payments I would be increased automatically to $500).  My scores today average 631.

I realize these are all "toy cards" and tiny limits, but I don't need the credit to purchase things day to day, but our goal is to purchase a home in 18-24 months.  The downpayment isn't an issue.  Managing these cards isn't a problem, as we could pay them off in full tomorrow if I maxed them out today.  My issue is how to get over the 700 mark and obviously, the higher the better.  Do I wait awhile to apply for another Visa/MC/AmEx? Do I *want* to get more store cards? Will that help me?  I have read varying advice about utilization.  Is it best to purchase something money and pay it off in full? Carry a small balance?  I've read several times to stay under 30% utilization overall, which makes sense.  Should I ask our bank for a pre-paid card using our savings as collateral?  Are credit cards even the best way to get from A to B here?

I apologize for the length, but I figured I'd err on the side of too much information.  I feel as though the more I read, the more confused I become about how to best reach our financial goals.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on How to Go From Zero to Mortgage through Credit Building

I am a fan of store cards for the stores I shop at. Having said that, no, more store cards won't help. 3 credit cards, 2 with zero balance and one reporting at 9% seems to be the score boosting sweet spot. I don't think store cards work for that. Also, clearing as many negative entries as possible will help in the long run. I am no expert, this is just my 2¢. I am sure others with more experience can give better advice. Good luck, though!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let Capital One age until its 6th statement cuts & you get the CLI. Then, you could check prequalifier pages to see if they pull up anything. Your goal is two more major cards because as mentioned above, three major cards seems to be the minimum number of revolving accounts for maximum score benefits.

Alternatively, you could put deposits on hold for secured cards. Discover, BoA, Open Sky, SDFCU, etc.
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jenrenea wrote:

I'm a woman in my early 30s who spent my early 20s mismanaging credit cards.  By the time I was 23, a long-term hospitalization (after coma) and repeated major mistakes financially landed me in a world of trouble with creditors.  Nearly every account I had (medical collections and store credit cards) was charged off.  I negotiated and paid them off, but it took years and my credit was utterly shot.  Fortunately, I grew up, managed money better, and my husband has a high income and we enjoy a very comfortable life and pay cash for everything including our college educations and cars.  Unfortunately, paying cash for a home in our area of New England is not really in the cards with four children, nor do I think it's the best use of our resources to clean everything out.  The house we live in we have a lease option for, which is why actually having credit matters now, as we'd like to own it.  The sooner we can purchase it, the less money we are sticking towards rent.  

Fast forward to about two months ago and I was purchasing something at J. Crew and received a pop up saying I was pre-approved.  I hadn't had anything in my name in probably 8-10 years.  I decided it couldn't hurt my already horrible credit (the three scores averaged to 512) and went for it.  I then utilized this forum to read more about the so- called "shopping cart trick" and after opening Victoria's Secret ($350), J. Crew ($300), and Overstock ($750), decided to just say "what the hell" and applied for credit at Blue Nile, (I was purchasing something anyways and was approved for $1000) and finally, my very first "real" card and received a Capital One visa ($300, but it stated that after 6 on time payments I would be increased automatically to $500).  My scores today average 631.

I realize these are all "toy cards" and tiny limits, but I don't need the credit to purchase things day to day, but our goal is to purchase a home in 18-24 months.  The downpayment isn't an issue.  Managing these cards isn't a problem, as we could pay them off in full tomorrow if I maxed them out today.  My issue is how to get over the 700 mark and obviously, the higher the better.  Do I wait awhile to apply for another Visa/MC/AmEx? Do I *want* to get more store cards? Will that help me?  I have read varying advice about utilization.  Is it best to purchase something money and pay it off in full? Carry a small balance?  I've read several times to stay under 30% utilization overall, which makes sense.  Should I ask our bank for a pre-paid card using our savings as collateral?  Are credit cards even the best way to get from A to B here?

I apologize for the length, but I figured I'd err on the side of too much information.  I feel as though the more I read, the more confused I become about how to best reach our financial goals.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide. 

I assume the answer is "Yes" but will ask anyway!   Do you need to be on the mortgage (this is assuming that your husband's credit is good)?   Obviously that requires that the mortgage doesn't exceed the acceptable multiples of his income, but it would mean you don't need to rush quite so much to get your credit into shape.

We did this for speed when refinancing, providing one set of income/bank account docs for them to criticize is better than providing two sets!

Message 4 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

If your husband has major credit cards, you can also be added as an AU on them. This will kick up your scores a few notch's. Chase and Capital one both back date. 680 is the sweet spot for a decent mortgage rate. As long as you have no major baddies. You'll easily obtain 680 in a year or so with a few major credit cards under your belt.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're on a good path. The first step is to get your credit reports from each bureau and find out if you have any derogatory marks from your bad time. These would include bankruptcies, collections, and late payments. You then want to take affirmative action to try to get them removed from your reports. If they are there, there are limits to how high your credit score can go.

Aside from the derogs, you have a thin file. It sounds like you aren't really planning on using the store cards, which is absolutely the correct thing to do. You want to make sure you're paying in full whenever one of your cards prints a statement. Unfortunately, there are only a couple ways to deal with a thin file, and you're already dealing with most of them. You have a bunch of new lines. You also have a timeline of 18-24 months, which should help your accounts age. I might consider picking up one or two more cards, but I don't know that you'll get them. BofA has a decent secured card, and I think that Discover has one as well. However, whether or not you decide to get a couple more, I would do it now and then shut down the applications until you apply for your mortgage.

Message 6 of 8
jenrenea

My husband wouldn't have a mortgage without my name on it.  The cost of the home is 1.25 times his annual yearly income not including bonuses.

Message 7 of 8
jenrenea

My husband has no credits or loans either.  He just didn't have the nasty past I did, so his scores aren't quite as low.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.