Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on NFCU CLI approach

tag
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

Advice on NFCU CLI approach

Quick history:

NFCU took a chance on me and my very low 600s scores in Sept 2018 w/ a 500$ CR card. After the third statement in Dec 2018, I req's a CLI to $5k with scores in about 630 range and income 125k. Denied CLI. Due to advice here, I app'd for the Flagship after denial of the CLI on my CR and was approved for 15k (!). I also at that time App'd for the CLOC and was approved for the full 15k CLOC. I then transferred 5k of my Flagship limit to my CR, so I then had: 5.5k CR, 10k Flag, 15k CLOC. 

From Dec 2018 until now (six months later), I have used the hell out of all three of the CR, Flag and CLOC. I let a moderate balance carry a couple months. I've now paid all three down to 0.

I've also put 1k cash in my NFCU checking and 1k cash in my NFCU savings, although I haven't used either account really. 

All three FICOs are now in the 675 range, total UT across all revolving is about 1%. I have a bunch (9?) of paid charge offs from 2016. Income still in the 125k range. 

I want to maximize my next NFCU CLI attempts. 

1) Should I ask for CLIs up to 25k on the CR (5.5k now) and Flag (10k now)? Or does it make sense to ask for a lower amount on one or both? Do they counter if they don't want to grant the full amount requested? I believe I've read that over 25k they ask for POI (which I could provide but I don't want to deal w the headache). 

2) I've sort of been looking at the NFCU AMEX. I already have the two NFCU credit cards and I have the CLOC. Can you have three cards from NFCU or is two the cap? 

I've been good to NFCU (and they've been way good to me) and want to continue to maximize that relationship. Seeing how my next highest credit card is only 2.5k, I feel kind of weird attacking NFCU for more, but at the same time, again, I want to maximize credit limits where I can. 

Thoughts on #1 and #2 above? 

Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice on NFCU CLI approach

Yes you can have 3 cards, and yes they will counter if you are eligble for an increase. With your income, always shoot for the 25kSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 4
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

just to be clear, i can have three cards AND a cloc? 

Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely. I have 3 NFCU CCs and the CLOC.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.