cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on canceling older unused accounts and applying for Chase Sapphire Reserve

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on canceling older unused accounts and applying for Chase Sapphire Reserve

From my experience, and what I've read here on MF, Chase has a permanent memory when you've wronged them.  So since you have had an unpaid card balance (I'm assuming went to collections)  you should probably forget about wasting your time with Chase and focus on a different big bank first.  CK doesn't analyze or know Chase's approval algorithms any more than we really do, so I hold no stock in those "approval" guides.  Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Wow. That seems kind of ridiculous. I won't put all my eggs in that basket, but the account was actually Washington Mutual at the time. I don't remember the timeline of when it was taken over compared to when it went to collections. Hopefully I slipped through a permanent banishment crack. Or maybe AMEX will up their game and give them some better competition soon and I can stick with them.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 11 of 15
brother7
Established Contributor

Re: Advice on canceling older unused accounts and applying for Chase Sapphire Reserve

General Rule of Thumb: If you have a card you'll no longer use and doesn't cost you anything to keep (ie no AF), sockdrawer it and let it age. If it closes due to inactivity, that's fine.

Other users suggest requesting periodic CLIs on the unused cards. If it's a SP, I see no problem with that and can even see the benefit of helping overall utilization, even if you don't use the card.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

From my experience, and what I've read here on MF, Chase has a permanent memory when you've wronged them.  So since you have had an unpaid card balance (I'm assuming went to collections)  you should probably forget about wasting your time with Chase and focus on a different big bank first.  CK doesn't analyze or know Chase's approval algorithms any more than we really do, so I hold no stock in those "approval" guides.  Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Wow. That seems kind of ridiculous. I won't put all my eggs in that basket, but the account was actually Washington Mutual at the time. I don't remember the timeline of when it was taken over compared to when it went to collections. Hopefully I slipped through a permanent banishment crack. Or maybe AMEX will up their game and give them some better competition soon and I can stick with them.

Thanks for the tip.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

Ok, a few points

1) Somebody mention the 50% of cards and balance this n that...don't get so concerned with all the nuisances...that us 'old' credit nerds

might speak of with regards to optimizing every possible scenario....it's NOT that serious, you've got a LIFE to liveSmiley Happy

Afew eggs are going to be broken making breakfast, don't worry about the small stuff.

@2) @brother7's General Rule of Thumb stuff is RIGHT on point...if they don't cost you an AF, let 'em ride till 'they' close 'em for non-activity

The longer they ride the further you push back that decade of good credit account drop off...the more 'scored' accounts the better, for internal scoring,

if it doesn't cost you anything allow them to hang out with socks.

3) Your mindset is great, however young folks sometimes go a 'bit' too far in 'smelling themselves' (jk)

As, I mentioned to you earlier you barely have 'real' CLs....you ain't in the position to 'punk' anybody into steppin' their game UP

"...maybe AMEX will up their game and give them some better competition soon and I can stick with them."

Oh, so now you're a PRIZE and 'they' better what 'fight' for YOUR profileSmiley LOL

Of course I'm just ribbin' ya ...but really...play your position, kid....you're a mid 600 Fico file with a spotty past

You said before that decided to WALK OUT on your debts prior (basically stealing) so if a vendor be it Chase, AmEx or that 1st baby Momma you left

they might not EVER want to play 'nice' with you again or at least wait a LOOOOONG time before you give you the time of day.

But THAT'S OK...it's a big ocean plenty of water and other fish...it is NOT "ridiculous. " it's call freewill and they deserve it just like we can decide

"I'm NEVER doing business with ______' as we please....it's a great country! No lender OWES any of us a 2nd chance if THEY choose not...the quicker

more ppl accept that, the less stressful lives, we can enjoy.

Think of it like this...if a guy mess up with a girl (and I have, more than once btw) no matter have much 'better' of a guy you become FOR her...it's still

'screw you'...ok that's fine....it's country of 300M ....she can live a great life w/o ...and you can live a great life w/o her or Chase...it doesn't NEED to make sense,

why she/Chase won't let you back in....all relationships are 2 way streets...'they' decide if they want to mess with you again ...if it's no, it's no, move on...you'll be fine with or w/o

Keep on the grind, and you'll be fine...you've got some nice 'girls' on your arm anyway...AmEx, Citi, even Cap-1 aren't chop liver....you're cooking with greaseSmiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 15
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Get the CLI and close them out. They'll be on your report for 10 years so you won't really feel the effect on your AAoA.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming.

Of course, it could also have a negative effect on UTIL.   Scores are optimized when more than half of your open CCs have a zero balance.   IMHO, close them after you apply.   

BTW, have you tried the Chase Pre-Qual to see what comes up?

Do you mind expanding/clarifying a bit? Both the ones I want to close are zero balance. The other three are 5-10%. I didn't realize this zero balance on half thing. I have been purposefully keeping the others at 5-10. Once I close, should I keep two of the remaining three at zero?

I have tried the pre-qual, but I get nothing because I must have opted out back when I had the old account I never paid. I've been trying to figure out how to opt back in without an active account with Chase. CreditKarma was tellig me 40 points ago that I had a "very good" chance of getting the CSP, but that may be a terrible guage.

And just to be clear, you're saying close them after I apply for the CLI, right? (As opposed to after applying for CSR, which could be a while from now)

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, a few points

1) Somebody mention the 50% of cards and balance this n that...don't get so concerned with all the nuisances...that us 'old' credit nerds

might speak of with regards to optimizing every possible scenario....it's NOT that serious, you've got a LIFE to liveSmiley Happy

Afew eggs are going to be broken making breakfast, don't worry about the small stuff.

@2) @brother7's General Rule of Thumb stuff is RIGHT on point...if they don't cost you an AF, let 'em ride till 'they' close 'em for non-activity

The longer they ride the further you push back that decade of good credit account drop off...the more 'scored' accounts the better, for internal scoring,

if it doesn't cost you anything allow them to hang out with socks.

3) Your mindset is great, however young folks sometimes go a 'bit' too far in 'smelling themselves' (jk)

As, I mentioned to you earlier you barely have 'real' CLs....you ain't in the position to 'punk' anybody into steppin' their game UP

"...maybe AMEX will up their game and give them some better competition soon and I can stick with them."

Oh, so now you're a PRIZE and 'they' better what 'fight' for YOUR profileSmiley LOL

Of course I'm just ribbin' ya ...but really...play your position, kid....you're a mid 600 Fico file with a spotty past

You said before that decided to WALK OUT on your debts prior (basically stealing) so if a vendor be it Chase, AmEx or that 1st baby Momma you left

they might not EVER want to play 'nice' with you again or at least wait a LOOOOONG time before you give you the time of day.

But THAT'S OK...it's a big ocean plenty of water and other fish...it is NOT "ridiculous. " it's call freewill and they deserve it just like we can decide

"I'm NEVER doing business with ______' as we please....it's a great country! No lender OWES any of us a 2nd chance if THEY choose not...the quicker

more ppl accept that, the less stressful lives, we can enjoy.

Think of it like this...if a guy mess up with a girl (and I have, more than once btw) no matter have much 'better' of a guy you become FOR her...it's still

'screw you'...ok that's fine....it's country of 300M ....she can live a great life w/o ...and you can live a great life w/o her or Chase...it doesn't NEED to make sense,

why she/Chase won't let you back in....all relationships are 2 way streets...'they' decide if they want to mess with you again ...if it's no, it's no, move on...you'll be fine with or w/o

Keep on the grind, and you'll be fine...you've got some nice 'girls' on your arm anyway...AmEx, Citi, even Cap-1 aren't chop liver....you're cooking with greaseSmiley Very Happy

Uh, ok. I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I'm not really sure you're grasping my sentiments or attitude all that well. While I'm not taking offense because this really isn't all that serious, you're ridiculously condescending. A few points of my own:

1) Honestly I don't even know what you're talking about saying I'm trying to "punk" anyone into stepping up their game. I may be actively building my credit, but I don't need to have great credit scores to have a brain and be able to compare two different products. It has nothing to do with me. American Express is currently not competitive with Chase's new card. That's just a fact.

2) My spotty past, in terms of my credit file, is gone. My FICOs are updating and TU just came in at 725. That's not fantastic or terrible. It just is what it is. Believe me, I'm way beyond measuring my self worth by a number assigned to me by financial institutions. That said, I'm a customer with an improving credit score. If I'm going to apply for a credit card, I'm going to try to get the best one I can in the category I'm looking in. So, yeah, I hope AMEX does improve their offerings.

3) I'm aware that it's their right. I'm not complaining, and certainly not on the basis of fairness. My assessment as "kind of ridiculous" is based on my personal reality. I was a **bleep**ty customer. Now I'm not. If they don't give second chances I understand the risk strategy, and that's fine, but someone else is going to get my business, and if they were to use the measurement created for this purpose (credit score!) instead of holding a permanent grudge regardless, they could potentially have one more customer to make money off of. Whenever it is that my credit meets their approval standards, of course.

4) Not paying back a credit card is absolutely, positively, 100% not stealing. It's an unsecured loan. They take a risk based on their own criteria, and they'll write off any losses. While I am now in a position in life where I don't need to do that in order to get by, I have zero sympathy for a giant bank making the wrong gamble.

5) Whatever that weird anology thing at the end there was is just too painful to even read.

Disagreements and criticisms aside, seriously, thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts and opinions.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.