Did you mean: 

Advice on getting 1st credit card?

tag
Kwyjibo
Established Member

Re: Advice on getting 1st credit card?

How did that psycho get your SSN?

@Kohler wrote:

Thank you very much for the advice, guys! And as far as the $100 bill in collections goes. I don't like to talk or think about it but it's from a vet bill in 2008. Basically my regular vet is always busy so I booked an appointment with a vet that I knew nothing about in a neighboring town. Basically she killed my cat and then tried to charge me for it. I can't even think about it without crying so I just don't. I had two other vets basically tell me how big of an idiot that woman is and my regular vet told me that he heard so many bad things about her. I checked yelp and the BBB after the fact, sadly, and she has so many negative reviews and a lot of people said how she overcharged them, she's condescending and hateful (which I witnessed, also), she misdiagnosed people's pets and a few even accused her of killing their pet like me. I seriously wish I could hit the rewind button and go back in time and change ever crossing paths with her but I can't. So now the only option I think I have is not to pay her. She knew very well why I wasn't paying her but since she is the devil, of course she sent it to collections. When I got the letter in the mail, I disputed it twice but obv. that didn't change anything. I didn't really care if it sat in collections because I didn't need credit for anything. Same thing with the 7 late payments on my student loan. I took a year off from school and didn't think it mattered if I paid my student loan since I was going back to school. I didn't understand credit or how it would affect me. But now I'm trying to build credit for my future and I'm learning so much on this forum. Thank you. 

Gardening until at least 12.16.13
Message 11 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Secured card might be the only way for you if the reconsiderations don't work. Basically, you have a thin file which is difficult to overcome for everyone. But you have the added problem of negative information. Secured cards should build positive history and help you overcome both the thin file AND the negatives in time.

Try for one that unsecures, like BofA. There have been lots of stories on here lately about the BofA card unsecuring after only 9 months.

Best of luck to you!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 14
Kohler
Established Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 14
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Secured card might be the only way for you if the reconsiderations don't work. Basically, you have a thin file which is difficult to overcome for everyone. But you have the added problem of negative information. Secured cards should build positive history and help you overcome both the thin file AND the negatives in time.

Try for one that unsecures, like BofA. There have been lots of stories on here lately about the BofA card unsecuring after only 9 months.

Best of luck to you!

Agree! Good luck, OP! You'll get there.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.