Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on my cards and building credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on my cards and building credit

Been reading alot of great posts the last few days and wanted some advice from the experienced members here. My bankruptcy just fell off after 10 years of being on my equifax report and constant denial of credit card applications. Until recently which I have been making all my business purchases using has rewards cards.

Here is my credit card portfolio.

-CO /FURNITURE ROW card $1700 cl/500 bal
-CO quicksilver $3000 cl
-Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000 cl
-Chase Freedom Unlimited $2000 cl
-Chase Ink Plus $5000 cl

All my major credit cards are new within the last 2 months and are paid off in full. The ink plus and csp cards I pay multiple times a month because of the low credit limit. I use those 2 for business/personal. The furniture row card was maxed out because of the 1 year no interest furniture purchase but plan on paying that off in 3 months and using that very little to increase my average age of account. Opened that up in september of 2015. (Only owe $500 on it)

Other accounts

-Mortgage as of 8/15 25% equity
-Boat loan as of 1/14 17k bal/29k loan
-Auto loan as of 1/16 (I pay almost double monthly payment)
-2 paid off auto loans from 08 and 2011

My fico score is only 640 according but my creditkarma TU is 700 and EQ is 680 with no derogatory marks and 100% payment history.

I want to get in the high 700's fico score and would like some advice on what steps I need to take to get there. Most of my credit as you can see is less than 8 months old. These are my first credit cards ever...
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on my cards and building credit

Now that you've secured some really nice cards you should focus on growing your CL. The best thing for you to do is use the cards as much as you can while keeping your overall utilization low. This will help when it's time to request CLI. 

Capital One CL increase requests are soft pulls and will not impact you credit score. Capital One is also known for giving auto CLI. 

I believe if you request a CLI from Chase it is a HP.... not 100% sure about this though. But I do know they also give auto CLI as well. 

I wish you the best of luck on your new journey.

Message 2 of 4
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

If the baddies have very recently dropped off, it may take a couple months for your fico score to be rebucketed.

Meanwhile, your score is too low, so you need to do everything you can to improve the score before using it. Which basically means you need to control your credit card utilization. read this thread for details:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

You need to let the new credit cards age, and the new Inquiries age, in order for your score to recover.

Ignore the CreditKarma scores, they are worthless. Just use creditkarma for the free look at your credit reports.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 4
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

+1
Let accounts age and grow CLs usually asking for CLI @Chase is HP as stated earlier..
and remember be patient it takes time,no race here,let reports get caught up..
best wishes 2 ya seems like ur on ur way !!!!!!!!!

*Edit- Forgot 2 welcome you to the forum!!!!!!!Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.