Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on store card possibilities

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on store card possibilities

Received a pre-approval from the Home Depot site.  Terrible rate, but since I'm still rebuilding I PIF to avoid interest charges on all my cards anyway.  I'm not trying to get store cards just to get them, and in this case, since I purchased a new home just 7 months ago, I can definately use it along with my Lowes card!

But my real motive is to hopefully get in good graces with Citi to app for one of their cards in 6 months or so once my HPs age a bit.

Will showing good practices on the HD card in the meantime help with that in the future?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on store card possibilities

@Anonymous wrote:

Received a pre-approval from the Home Depot site.  Terrible rate, but since I'm still rebuilding I PIF to avoid interest charges on all my cards anyway.  I'm not trying to get store cards just to get them, and in this case, since I purchased a new home just 7 months ago, I can definately use it along with my Lowes card!

But my real motive is to hopefully get in good graces with Citi to app for one of their cards in 6 months or so once my HPs age a bit.

Will showing good practices on the HD card in the meantime help with that in the future?

Thanks!

That question comes up a lot and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  Co branded cards typically have different underwriting criteria than main bank cards but having a Home Depot card for six months and using it appropriately certainly can't hurt getting the Citi card you want to get.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, kinda figured that since I can't get that pre-approval form the Citi site...  Any idea who they pull? 

Message 3 of 8
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea, kinda figured that since I can't get that pre-approval form the Citi site...  Any idea who they pull? 

I didn't get any pre-qualified/approved offers when I tried on the Amex site, but I was approved for ED the same day I looked for pre-approvals.  YMMV.

Message 4 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditPulls shows a 50/50 shot between EQ and EX. you might want to go there and put in your state and see if that narrows it down.

good luck!

i tried the pre-qual for HD and it was like 25.99  APR... bummer since i had an 5k HD CITI card in 06' and paid as agreed / closed by consumer.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a Sears card recently but I don't have high hopes of it getting me in good with Cit. They'll probably pull Equifax or Experian. Sears pulled Equifax on me in California 

(in store) but Best Buy (also Citi) pulled Experian on me a few months ago online

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditPulls shows a 50/50 shot between EQ and EX. you might want to go there and put in your state and see if that narrows it down.

good luck!

i tried the pre-qual for HD and it was like 25.99  APR... bummer since i had an 5k HD CITI card in 06' and paid as agreed / closed by consumer.

CreditPulls shows the latest in NJ where I am is 2012.  Says CRA is EX, but the comments say they thought EX but Citi pulled EQ and they got denied...  not much help there!  LOL

I've got a good line with Lowes, but there are certain things that I can only get at HD so I'm thinking it might be worth the pull since a trip to the garden until at least June is a must anyway!!

On a side note, I tried to app for Citi after not getting a pre-approval and was denied.  Too much new credit, too many inquiries, etc...

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HD is a waste of HP. You can buy 10% discounted gift cards.

Cap QS gives 1.5% + 10.5% DC = 12%
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.