Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on switching card or new card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on switching card or new card

I wouldn't give up on Amex.  I burned them for ~10k 7 years ago and just got the Amex Platinum and base Hilton cards 2 months ago.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer the OP, with the old age of the card and credit limit, you should have no problem changing the card to the Prestige if you wish to not add a new account.

The only thing preventing it would be if they are not allowing changes to prestige at this time, otherwise I think you should be good.
Message 12 of 21
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't give up on Amex.  I burned them for ~10k 7 years ago and just got the Amex Platinum and base Hilton cards 2 months ago.

OP, if you burned AMEX in 2008, have you checked the prequal page?  If no offers I would reach out again and find a supervisor if you're willing to pay what you owe.  I think by now they'd take you back based on what I've been reading here lately.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13 of 21
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was looking at prestige to get around opening a new account. People at work joke about me always using the cash back Citibank card or my other MasterCard. Just the industry I’m in.

My credit karma scores are 803 on TransUnion and 822 on equifax. My FNBO Direct Card says my experian is 809.

My cards are in order of age
Citibank Diamond 17,300 was secured about eight years ago.
Citibank cash back 20,100
USAA Low Rate Visa 12,100
FNBO Direct 22,000
BMO Harris Rewards 32,000
2 month old auto loan

Punch them in the nose, JK!  Next time make fun of them for something, if they can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.  Don't  get a credit card for that.

If you do, they win.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was looking at prestige to get around opening a new account. People at work joke about me always using the cash back Citibank card or my other MasterCard. Just the industry I’m in.

My credit karma scores are 803 on TransUnion and 822 on equifax. My FNBO Direct Card says my experian is 809.

FNBO Direct 22,000
2 month old auto loan

If looks is the only reason, try this https://lioncreditcard.com/ make it real pretty, and refuse to tell them what it is.

Message 15 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP

IMHO, your DC card is a premium card with none of that high AF nonsense (that’s how I feel about my DC).

Now, if you are traveling a lot for company business, I would understand you wanting a card that offers those types of benefits; but just wanting another type of card because co-workers have them is just not a good enough reason. Just my 2cents because I learned a valuable lesson.

I’ll never forget one time I pulled out my Citi Costco CC to pay for a nice meal a friend and I were having. Said Oops, and replaced it with my AmX. My friend chuckled and shook his head. I said, “what?” He said, “both cards will pay for the meal, right?” That comment showed me how pretentious I was being because in hindsight restaurants were 3% on the Costco and only 1.5% on the AMX. Now I only pay with the specific card that gives me the most rewards, not the card that makes me feel like it’s better to whip it out of my pocket.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@soxfaininfl wrote:

OP, how much did you burn Amex for? If you pay them back, they will let you back in. 

This is not guaranteed. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Awhile ago, I defaulted on several accounts and none of them appear on my credit report anymore.  I would like to have a premium card for work, since everyone I work with has them (sounds weird I know) and I usually just use my Citibank 2% back card when at company functions.  

Since I had a prior default with American Express and Chase, I know their nice cards are out.  I think that leaves me with either the Luxury Black, which I get mailers for. or the Citibank Prestige.  

I have a Citibank cash back card and a Diamond preferred (switch started as a secured card eight years ago).  I've read on hear about people switching cards with them.  I was considering switching my Diamond preferred to a Prestige (if they allow it) because I'd like to keep my streak going for not applying for new cards.  I know I would not get a signup bonus, but I saw the Luxury one doesn't even offer one.  

I was wondering if the Prestige is a little better than the Luxury card?  

Also, if they allowed me to change to the Prestige, I know I would not get a sign up bonus but would I still get all the other features of the card benefits (extra points per dollar on spending categories and transfer partners)?

Thank you

Welcome to the forums @Anonymous.

IMO, I would not get a 'premium' CC just because 'everyone at work' has one.  This would almost be like keeping up with the Jones' mentality.  If you do have the interest of obtaining one because it truly fits your needs based on your actual lifestyle, there's a few options available.

These Citi Prestige may be viable.  I would entertain applying for it versus a PC since you won't qualify for the SUB if you decide to go the PC route (which may not be available with Diamond Preferred).

+1000

Message 18 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FNBO Direct 22,000
2 month old auto loan

If looks is the only reason, try this https://lioncreditcard.com/ make it real pretty, and refuse to tell them what it is.

PRICELESS! 😂🤣😆

Message 19 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Most of us would agree that getting a new card (and incurring expense) "just" because of co-worker peer pressure is not a great thing to do.   But there are certainly situations where it might be just easier.   If you like your job, and generally your co-workers, but you feel that they and perhaps your boss think your choice of card is strange/wrong/bad and reflects on you in some slightly negative way, then fixing that issue is the way to go.

Despite our (over) interest in credit cards, it's really not worth making a principled stand over this:  "It's my credit file, my choice, and you can take this great job and shove it where FICO doesn't shine"   type thing?  Nah.  And yes, the co-workers may be somewhat ignorant of what really makes a good card, but generally we all (except me and one other person here) have blind spots in our knowledge

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.