Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on the Citi Preferred card....

tag
bella1013
Contributor

Advice on the Citi Preferred card....

I received a pre-approval in the mail for a Citi Preferred Card.  Because my credit isn't so great and I'm working to improve it, I'm considering going for this card.  I've already been denied for a couple of cards so "sad to say" I'll take what I can get right now for rebuilding purposes.  Any Citi customers have any good advice for me before I go for it?  Is this a good card? Are they going to stick me with a low ($500) CL?

Thanks for your help!! 

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: ADVICE ON THE CITI PREFERRED CARD....

@bella1013 wrote:

I received a pre-approval in the mail for a Citi Preferred Card.  Because my credit isn't so great and I'm working to improve it, I'm considering going for this card.  I've already been denied for a couple of cards so "sad to say" I'll take what I can get right now for rebuilding purposes.  Any Citi customers have any good advice for me before I go for it?  Is this a good card? Are they going to stick me with a low ($500) CL?

Thanks for your help!! 

Bella1013

We need more info on your CR to help

INQ's,AAoA, Baddies, etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bella1013 wrote:

Thanks for your help!! 

It's nothing special but it's not a terrible card, and its rewards actually improve in July.  Then you will get 2% for dining, 1% everywhere else, no cap.

A major disadvantage is that redeeming for cash equivalents is made hard.  If you ask for a check or statement credit etc, you get much less than 1c per point.  However, you can ask for a mortgage check or student loan check (and you can deposit these into your own bank account) and get 1c per point but you have to call.

You can also redeem for gift cards (not a great selection) or merchandise (usually not a great use of points) easily, and you can redeem for travel.

As time goes on, if your credit improves and travel is a goal, you can then add something like the Citi Thank You Premier, which makes redemptions for travel much more valuable.

So, it's an OK choice, especially if you feel that you options are limited and you can't get a card with a better signing bonus for example.

Message 3 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@bella1013 wrote:

Any Citi customers have any good advice for me before I go for it?  Is this a good card? Are they going to stick me with a low ($500) CL?

It isn't a "best in class" card, but it's an "excellent" card if feel your choices are limited.  It has no annual fee, 2X points in dining/entertainment and 1 point on everything else.  If you have a student loan or mortage, this is essentially a 2% cash card on dining and entertainment.

Unless you have better cards, this is definitely a worthwhile card to have in your collection.  Citi is one of the more difficult cards to get and you should take up their offer if you're preapproved.

Message 4 of 30
bella1013
Contributor

Thanks guys!! My credit scores are TU 744 2 INQ EQ 635 2 INQ EX 663 4 INQ MyFico 653...I have 4 bad charge off accounts I'm trying to get removed and a judgment.  They've all been paid.  I have Wells Fargo Secured CC and Bank of America Secured $1k each, Capitol One $500 and Dots Store CCC $500 (these are in good standing but only a couple months old)  This credit thing is not as easy as I thought :/  I think I'll go for it!!! Thanks again!!

Message 5 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@bella1013 wrote:

Thanks guys!! My credit scores are TU 744 2 INQ EQ 635 2 INQ EX 663 4 INQ MyFico 653...I have 4 bad charge off accounts I'm trying to get removed and a judgment.  They've all been paid.  I have Wells Fargo Secured CC and Bank of America Secured $1k each, Capitol One $500 and Dots Store CCC $500 (these are in good standing but only a couple months old)  This credit thing is not as easy as I thought :/  I think I'll go for it!!! Thanks again!!

I recommend you get those removed first, and then apply. You will also get a higher starting CL that way.

best of luck!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Enharu, just to hijack for a sec!  I see you now have a 42K BCP.   Is that from the global transfer process, or did you just get it "normally"?

Message 8 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Enharu, just to hijack for a sec!  I see you now have a 42K BCP.   Is that from the global transfer process, or did you just get it "normally"?

Transfer program Smiley Very Happy

I thanked you in my other thread too! 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OK, congrats, didn't see it before.

Anyway, as agreed, 10% of the CL per month, starting July 1, OK.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.