Advice on which card(s) to apply for

tag
facutardeat
New Contributor

Re: Advice on which card(s) to apply for

@watch44 wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

Thanks for your response.

I just spoke with an online BofA customer service rep. and was told that after BofA reports to the bureaus today (my closing date), it could take 30-60 days for my actual credit report to update.  Does this sound accurate?  If so, I would obviously want to wait to apply for any cards until after that time, correct?

Once it reports, it reports. The cs rep may be referring to how often your particular monitoring service updates (pulls reports). Services can pull instantly, daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc.. Credit Karma pulls weekly. I'd just wait for CK to update for verification unless you're in a real hurry. You can start pulling all your free reports over the next three days. Or you can sub to a daily monitoring service (EIDT, USAA) but setting those up can take a few days anyway.

Thank you very much for all the info Smiley Happy

I'm (clearly) really new to all of this.  I have only just started to tap the info available on these forums, yet I have already (more than once) come across as some sort of credit-expert in casual discussion (!).

In any event, I will wait for Credit Karma to update and go from there!

As of 5/23/14, via myFICO EQ 779 | TU 762 | EX 795

As of 5/22/14 Credit Sesame 746 | Credit Karma 754

AmEx EveryDay Preferred $2,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,000 | Chase Freedom $8,000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $5,200
Message 31 of 71
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, but I'm no expert. I just say stuff until someone corrects me. Cat LOL

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 32 of 71
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@facutardeat wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

I just spoke with an online BofA customer service rep. and was told that after BofA reports to the bureaus today (my closing date), it could take 30-60 days for my actual credit report to update.  Does this sound accurate?  If so, I would obviously want to wait to apply for any cards until after that time, correct?

Once it reports, it reports. The cs rep may be referring to how often your particular monitoring service updates (pulls reports). Services can pull instantly, daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc.. Credit Karma pulls weekly. I'd just wait for CK to update for verification unless you're in a real hurry. You can start pulling all your free reports over the next three days. Or you can sub to a daily monitoring service (EIDT, USAA) but setting those up can take a few days anyway.

I'm (clearly) really new to all of this.  I have only just started to tap the info available on these forums, yet I have already (more than once) come across as some sort of credit-expert in casual discussion (!).

Just to add some points:

1. Credit Karma's scoring system is absurd and used by exactly no one (as far as lenders go). It can be a great tool for monitoring inquirys, dergoatory marks, account balance updates, etc, but don't drive yourself batty by giving that score too much thought.

2. If you have one card and it just reported 81% UTIL, you should absolutely wait until that goes down. I'm definitely not saying that there is no chance you would get approved, but your approval odds and chance of a higher CL are much more favorable if you hold off until it reports <10%.

3. I don't have a B of A card, but out of the cards I do have, none of them take 30-60 days after a statement closes to report the balance. 30-60 days sounds like the default answer to give it enough time.

4. Keep in mind that when monitoring your CK account for the balance change, that's only good for your TransUnion report. The Everyday app will pull Experian, and CSP probably depends on where you live. For me Chase always pulls EX, and pulls TU if EX doesn't give them a clear cut yes. Just make sure your lower UTIL has reported on all your reports.

Message 33 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

Just to add some points:

1. Credit Karma's scoring system is absurd and used by exactly no one (as far as lenders go). It can be a great tool for monitoring inquirys, dergoatory marks, account balance updates, etc, but don't drive yourself batty by giving that score too much thought.

2. If you have one card and it just reported 81% UTIL, you should absolutely wait until that goes down. I'm definitely not saying that there is no chance you would get approved, but your approval odds and chance of a higher CL are much more favorable if you hold off until it reports <10%.

3. I don't have a B of A card, but out of the cards I do have, none of them take 30-60 days after a statement closes to report the balance. 30-60 days sounds like the default answer to give it enough time.

4. Keep in mind that when monitoring your CK account for the balance change, that's only good for your TransUnion report. The Everyday app will pull Experian, and CSP probably depends on where you live. For me Chase always pulls EX, and pulls TU if EX doesn't give them a clear cut yes. Just make sure your lower UTIL has reported on all your reports.

Thank you for the info!

Just to reiterate, I paid the balance in full on 5/9, taking it from 81% utilization to 0% utilization.  My current statement closing date is today.  So I'm expecting BofA to report a $0 balance and 0% utilization sometime this week.

AmEx EveryDay Preferred $2,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,000 | Chase Freedom $8,000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $5,200
Message 34 of 71
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@facutardeat wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

Just to add some points:

Thank you for the info!

Just to reiterate, I paid the balance in full on 5/9, taking it from 81% utilization to 0% utilization.  My current statement closing date is today.  So I'm expecting BofA to report a $0 balance and 0% utilization sometime this week.

Ah, ok Smiley Happy Well, I don't think it should take too long to report that way. Actually, I might make a purchase and see if you can get it to report maybe 5% UTIL or so. It might be beneficial to have it report some balance rather than none at all. 

Message 35 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Ah, ok Smiley Happy Well, I don't think it should take too long to report that way. Actually, I might make a purchase and see if you can get it to report maybe 5% UTIL or so. It might be beneficial to have it report some balance rather than none at all. 

So you're saying it would be a GOOD thing to treat myself to an $80 lunch today?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 71
SpaceInvader
New Contributor

@facutardeat wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

So you're saying it would be a GOOD thing to treat myself to an $80 lunch today?  Smiley Very Happy

Just take a client and make it a reimburseable expense Smiley Tongue Two birds, one stone...

Congrats on finishing your degree and landing a job. (a bit late I know)

Gardening since: 4/2015
Starting Score: 666 Current Score: 688(Barclay FICO) Goal Score: 750

Message 37 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

@SpaceInvader wrote:

@facutardeat wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Just take a client and make it a reimburseable expense Smiley Tongue Two birds, one stone...

Congrats on finishing your degree and landing a job. (a bit late I know)

There you go!  And thanks very much Smiley Happy  Really feel fortunate to get my foot in the door somewhere!

Message 38 of 71
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@facutardeat wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Well since you're offering... Smiley Happy

Maybe 1-2% then. Since it's your only card it might help, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Message 39 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

Thanks, but I'm no expert. I just say stuff until someone corrects me. Cat LOL

This! LMAO!!! I'm the same way! I just repeat what I've read on other threads... Glad I'm able to help though!

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 40 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.