Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please! Opened 2 US Bank credit cards

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Advice please! Opened 2 US Bank credit cards

I made a mistake when applying for my US Bank Platinum Visa. I thought I was unsecuring my secured card but it turns out I did a separate application! When I called to confirm it being unsecured they were confused and when I explained I had been approved the rep offered to "merge" the new app with my secured card (they upgrade to Platinum Visa usually anyway).

However, when I logged in today I found out that they did no such thing. On top of using the hard pull to approve my initial Visa, they did ANOTHER hard pull to unsecure my secured Visa. Now I have TWO platinum Visa cards open.  One for a limit of $4000, and the other (my former secured card) with a limit of $300!

I asked if they could just combine the accounts (I want to keep the payment history for my secured card but would love the new card's limit) and the customer rep told me it "might" be another hard pull because they would just close the bigger account and increase the credit limt of the smaller account.

What should I do? I've already applied for 3 other cards this week (including 2 with AMEX). I do not feel like dealing with a financial review!

Should I just leave both accounts open? Maybe if I can product change one of the cards later. I feel nervous about having so many cards now. I'm sure I'm on AMEXs radar.Smiley Embarassed

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice please! Opened 2 US Bank credit cards

I think you'll be fine, I would keep both if I was you. In the future you can PC the larger of the two into a better card with rewards
Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 2 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

I made a mistake when applying for my US Bank Platinum Visa. I thought I was unsecuring my secured card but it turns out I did a separate application! When I called to confirm it being unsecured they were confused and when I explained I had been approved the rep offered to "merge" the new app with my secured card (they upgrade to Platinum Visa usually anyway).

However, when I logged in today I found out that they did no such thing. On top of using the hard pull to approve my initial Visa, they did ANOTHER hard pull to unsecure my secured Visa. Now I have TWO platinum Visa cards open.  One for a limit of $4000, and the other (my former secured card) with a limit of $300!

I asked if they could just combine the accounts (I want to keep the payment history for my secured card but would love the new card's limit) and the customer rep told me it "might" be another hard pull because they would just close the bigger account and increase the credit limt of the smaller account.

What should I do? I've already applied for 3 other cards this week (including 2 with AMEX). I do not feel like dealing with a financial review!

Should I just leave both accounts open? Maybe if I can product change one of the cards later. I feel nervous about having so many cards now. I'm sure I'm on AMEXs radar.Smiley Embarassed

I would try asking for a supervisor. Many times regular CSRs just can't or won't do things that supervisors and managers have the authority to do. I've not dealt w/US Bank, so I don't know how they are to deal with. But I would definitely try this first. Or maybe talk to the manager at your local branch and he/she can make a call to see what can be done for you.

If they can't or won't help you, then you're best off just leaving it as is. Once an acct has been opened, it will stay on your CR for 10 yrs after it's closed. So, if they won't delete/merge the duplicate account, then your AAoA is taking the hit already.

I wouldn't worry about Amex.Just be sure your overall util remains low and pay on time. And don't app for anything for at least 3 mos.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 5
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I think after reading around on this forum about closing cards, that I wont.

Neither card will have an annual fee.  US Bank even REFUNDED me my annual fee for the formerly secured card (prorated for the year of course)!

I dont want to risk another hard pull and I've read that after a year or so, they upgrade the Secured-to-Platinum card to something else.  My current platinum card is at $4000 so if I can get an increase to $5k maybe they'll make the smaller card into a Visa Signature. I would LOVE to have a Cash+ card!

So I guess I'll keep them both.  What a wonderful problem to have! Smiley Happy

Should I be using the smaller card ($300 limit) to spend to encourage a product change? 

Message 4 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

I think after reading around on this forum about closing cards, that I wont.

Neither card will have an annual fee.  US Bank even REFUNDED me my annual fee for the formerly secured card (prorated for the year of course)!

I dont want to risk another hard pull and I've read that after a year or so, they upgrade the Secured-to-Platinum card to something else.  My current platinum card is at $4000 so if I can get an increase to $5k maybe they'll make the smaller card into a Visa Signature. I would LOVE to have a Cash+ card!

So I guess I'll keep them both.  What a wonderful problem to have! Smiley Happy

Should I be using the smaller card ($300 limit) to spend to encourage a product change? 

keep the small card for $300, and then call for a CLI on it and talk to an underwriter and push for a $3k-4k limit to match the newer card they allready gave you. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.