Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice, what should I do?

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice, what should I do?

Alright I was on the same boat as you, I started with 1 CC( Boa student play visa) which is 1.5yrd old today. I had use it and pif every month fr 1.5yrs. Thus in my CR it shows a status of open/never late with my whole payment history. Last week I applied to the BCE n chase freedom and I was approve. My income is like 15k full time student as well. I think that my Boa age played a role in helping me get approve, as well as not baddies at all on my CR, also my fico is 778. I was instantly approved for BCE and chase and I got a CLI on my Boa as well with the same hp.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 61 of 69
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Lexie- LOL thanks! I'd like my plot in good hands while I'm gone!

JaeJae- Congrats, you have the 2 cards that I really want and it awesome that you got approved! My oldest card will be a year old on this Thursday/Friday. So I think Chase likes to see that and I think I have a better chance of being approved this time around since I was not the first time around. And yes account age and payment history plays a very big role in getting approved. Congrats again!

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 62 of 69
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 63 of 69
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hello staifokuzed and welcome to the forums.

I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator” link to ask the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.

Thanks! Enjoy your visit here on the forums!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 64 of 69
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that Blue. I am no where near approvable for the BCE...maybe in July. I hope your other apps go well but the INQs are starting to rack up which may make things more difficult. Not impossible but you may have a recon in your future. I hope to see you in the garden soon! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 65 of 69
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: eRe: Advice, what should I do?

@bluesnowman wrote:

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to post an update. I decided to take a risk (and ruin my plan...I was being dumb..lol. Sorry movingforward!) and went for the BCE on April 9th. Unfortunately I was denied and these were the reasons that were listed: Length nof time accounts have been established, Length of revolving account history, Too many inquires in the last 12 months, Lack or recent information on installment accounts, and lastly, The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is to short. They said on March 16, 2013 they said my score was 715 (higher then I thought.) Thankfully it was a soft pull, but does this mean I am still in the garden or am I out? I also plan to go for the Chase Freedom on May 1st, and then May 10th for the Delta and maybe PC (I've seen it done..lol.) to the BCE, I plan to leave a 20$ balance on one of my cards and have that report, so that could help. Anyways that's an update for now and I will let you guys if I get approved or not for any other cards, once I'm approved though for both cards or PC, I'm set until I get a better job or graduate. 

Most of the time PC to BCE requires u to have the account for >1 year. Some people (such as young) have sneaked past the cracks, but it's kinda a YMMV thing. If unlucky, you will be stuck with the card for a year.

Since Amex's main reasons for declining you is the length of your account history and number of inquiries, I would recommend you wait until end of the year before you apply for the BCE and Freedom. It's really not that long of a wait. The more app crazy you get, the higher the chances you going to land yourself in trouble with Amex.

There's a chance Chase will deny you with the very same reasons Amex quoted, since they both pull EX. There's also a good chance they'll give you a low limit to start if approved. So it's up to you whether you want to take the risk. Of course, you might get lucky and Chase decides to match the limit other banks gave you. In all honesty though, you will want your Chase CL increased eventually, and that is going to cost another HP. Therefore I would recommend you apply at the end of the year instead, and be done with it in just 1 HP.

Also, Amex, Chase, Discover and Citi does regular SPs. Not sure about BofA. Because of your length of history, they might be even more paranoid for your case as compared to other customers. You don't want to risk getting AA just because you were impatient. 

best of luck and keep us updated!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 66 of 69
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: eRe: Advice, what should I do?

Hello,

Yes. Patience is the key to everything here although it is so hard to be patient. I think you have good enough scores for these cards it is just when you look at your actually reports, there isn't a long history as you are aware of. I am the same way you are. I have applied for stuff when others said wait because I knew I wouldn't know if I could be approved unless I applied and after weighing everything I concluded it was worth burning the inquiry in many cases. I have however been able to restrain myself from aquiring a bunch of tradelines from store cards I didn't need or "rebuilder" cards that i might only need til my scores improved. I think you have some great cards as is and good scores so a little patience and persistence should serve you well. Good luck!

Message 67 of 69
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Movingforward- It's all good. I talked to Amex after being declined and they told me it was only a SP, so there was no HP recorded (and I verified this by looking at my EQ and TU scores a week ago and there was no effect.) I felt so bad after applying because your words came to mind to be more patient and I made an immature decision, but I learned my lesson. I'm not going to recon because I hear they are pretty tough to recon, and they probably won't change their mind. And yes I will be back in the garden again very soon!

Enharu- Is it really a YMMV thing? I have seen people on other forums PC anywhere from 1-6 months. Or even people here. I figure that I'm going to apply for Chase on May 1st (I also happened to set up a student checking and savings account with Chase with chase with 500$ in each, yes it's not much but it's a small start.) If I don't get approved I'll try to see if my personal banker can help me. If he can't, then I'll wait till December. As for Amex, I am going to wait until October (I really dont want to pay the AF for PRG because I don't use it enough to make it worth it tbh.) and then cancel it. Tbh, I'd rather take the risk and start with a small limit, and when my credit gets better, I'll take the HP's for a bigger CL then. I'm perfectly fine with a low limit since I don't make so much as it is. Or I might just apply for the Delta on May 10th and see what happens. I only have 3 INQ's on EX and 2 on EQ and TU (Amex triple pulled me) as well as my last app was 11/24/12 (last hard inquiry at least). And yeah I understand, but I've spent quite a bit on all of my cards considering how long I have had them opened (I've been spend about 1,300 on Citi, around 3k on Discover, 500 on Amex (I dont use it much) And probably in the last year with BOFA around 4k. So I thought that would help a little bit.) And I always PIF every month, except when I was going for new credit (leave a small balance and then pay it off). And of course I will keep you guys updated.!

ddd- I realize that, and at this point I'm just letting time doing it's thing and aging my accounts. My goal was to get the an Amex revolver and the Freedom and then garden until I graduate, and pretty much not apply for anything until then. And I am, I just want to be able to accomplish what I really set out to do when I was starting my credit. Once I do happen to reach out, I really have no use for any cards for the next couple of years. And it is kind of hard to be patient when you see people with the same profile on the boards getting approved, and your still in the garden. Only a little bit longer..lol.

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 68 of 69
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Update, so I got up this morning, remembered that it is May 1st..lol, and went to the Chase website. Filled out the application and 30 seconds later I was given instant approval. At this point, idk what my limit is or which bureau they pulled (I'm sure it's EX, but I hope it would have been TU.) But I'm so happy right now! All that's left is to apply for the Delta card, and then PC it down the road in the coming months, and then I will be in the garden for at least a year or two. But I'm very happy with how things have turned out today, I wasn't expecting approval and instead having to recon, but nonetheless glad to have gotten instant approval.

Message 69 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.