PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Affinity FCU Cash Rewards - Q4 Hi5 Bonus Categories

Just received the email, Affinity FCU Cash Rewards card hi-5 categories for Q4:

• Amazon
  • Discount Stores
  • Supermarkets

Affinity - Hi5 Q4 categories.jpg

The quarterly rotating "hi-5" categories are in addition to the permanent multipliers:

• 5% Amazon & Bookstores
  • 2% Supermarkets/Groceries
  • 2% Restaurants/Dining
  • 2% Gas
  • 2% Streaming
  • 2% Ride services
  • 1% Everything else

So Q4 will be 10% on Amazon, and 7% on supermarkets/groceries, yes please! Still capitalizing on the current Q3 7% on dining and gas, this card is a beast!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Flfico
Regular Contributor

Re: Affinity FCU Cash Rewards - Q4 Hi5 Bonus Categories

I saw this as well. I wonder if target and walmart code as discount stores?

Message 2 of 34
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Flfico  Yes, they do Smiley Happy

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 3 of 34
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

Not sure how I missed this card but now I'm on pause to hopefully buy a house next year. 

Edit:

03782429-2B7E-4D03-BA1B-E2ABB4FAB9DE.gif

Message 4 of 34
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

"Affinity Cash Rewards Visa Signature: In addition to the standard points, (5% cash back, which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent for all Amazon purchases, including bookstores, 2% cash back, which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent for all supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards, restaurant purchases, and gas station purchases, and for all purchases made on watch, listen and ride services, such as Netflix, Spotify and Uber; and 1% cash back, which is equivalent to 1 point for every $1 spent on everything else) cardholders will earn 5% cash back, which is the equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent on purchases made for hotels & motels, gas and restaurants on up to $3,500 during the promotional period of July 1, 2021 – September 30, 2021 (excluding gift cards)."

Based on the wording of the fine print in the email we received today, quoted above, apparently the Hi 5 categories compound with the 5%, 2% AND 1% categories. There has been some back and forth as to whether the 1% general category compounds with the 5%. So for hotels this quarter and for discount stores next quarter, the total cashback should be 6%, right?

Message 5 of 34
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@GatorCowboyLion   I think this has come up before, just recently. I do not believe the 1% stacks because it is the general non-category default for this card. The stackable rewards only apply to the Category-specific bonuses.  @PullingMeSoftly  might be able to help me with this, because I haven't specifically noticed or tried to isolate my spend to check for this....but I really don't think the 5% stacks with non-category.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 6 of 34
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is too good to believe. It almost has to get nerfed. They are losing tons of money.

I'm going to wait for 6 months or so and see what happens.

Message 7 of 34
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@kilroy8  I think you would be wasting good time, honestly.  This card has been going strong for 2 years. Not only is the CR card exceptional, they also have some of the lowest Auto Loan rates in the country and a SmartStart Savings with 2% APY dividends (to $2500) and an additional 1% APY (up to $5000).....so technically a 1.5% APY up to $5000.

I would run with it and not look back....

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 8 of 34
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

This is too good to believe. It almost has to get nerfed. They are losing tons of money.

I'm going to wait for 6 months or so and see what happens.

That's what people were saying about the AOD card 15 months ago when I got it.🤷‍♂️

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 34
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

Just got this card for the great rewards. There doesn't seem to be a way to pay it in the app though 😂. Only option in from is... the credit card? I'm testing a $5 push payment otherwise I guess I'm mailing a check?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.