cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After DW's CSR approval, considering CFU for myself?

tag
Azza
Regular Contributor

After DW's CSR approval, considering CFU for myself?

Hey guys.

Yesterday my wife was approved for CSR at $22,600. She currently has the chase cards in her name: CSR, CFU, CFF and Amazon Prime Rewards.

The limits are: $22.6k CSR, $1.1k CFU, $3.5k CFF and $5.1k Amazon.

Right now we're using our Alliant card with its 2% cash back for our regular purchases. However, because the CFU earns 1.5% back on all purchases and we can transfer those points to the CSR, they become worth 2.25% which is better than Alliant. (Also shame on Alliant for last month's stunt.)

The CL on our Alliant card is $5k, and it works for basically everything. We have our Rivermark CU card I got last year with a $20k line for VERY large purchases (used once for $7k). The problem I'm running into is I don't know if I should AU on her tiny CFU or apply for my own after our 60k miles SUB is complete (so I can reap another SUB on my own CFU.)

So my questions are:

1) Based on my scores, zero lates and average age of accounts being 5 years with oldest being 13, how do I fare for a big SL with Chase for my first card?

2) Can my wife somehow get the limit on her CFU increased? I have heard Chase doesn't have a luv button, just a income input.

3) Will it be worth more work than it's worth to manage two Chase accounts to send points, or will it be fine and I should open my own card and begin a banking relationship with them?

Thanks guys, you are always the best help. I mean it Smiley Happy

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: After DW's CSR approval, considering CFU for myself?

@Azza wrote:

Hey guys.

Yesterday my wife was approved for CSR at $22,600. She currently has the chase cards in her name: CSR, CFU, CFF and Amazon Prime Rewards.

The limits are: $22.6k CSR, $1.1k CFU, $3.5k CFF and $5.1k Amazon.

Right now we're using our Alliant card with its 2% cash back for our regular purchases. However, because the CFU earns 1.5% back on all purchases and we can transfer those points to the CSR, they become worth 2.25% which is better than Alliant. (Also shame on Alliant for last month's stunt.)

The CL on our Alliant card is $5k, and it works for basically everything. We have our Rivermark CU card I got last year with a $20k line for VERY large purchases (used once for $7k). The problem I'm running into is I don't know if I should AU on her tiny CFU or apply for my own after our 60k miles SUB is complete (so I can reap another SUB on my own CFU.)

So my questions are:

1) Based on my scores, zero lates and average age of accounts being 5 years with oldest being 13, how do I fare for a big SL with Chase for my first card?  No one can predict what the SL would be (it could be low or it could be high), it'll be based on many factors.  And, my crystal ball is currently out-of-order, sorry Smiley Wink

2) Can my wife somehow get the limit on her CFU increased? I have heard Chase doesn't have a luv button, just a income input.  Any customer-initiaded CLI requests are HP, regardless of income input.  She can, however, reallocate any portion of her CSR to give CFU more 'wiggle' room in the event you both plan on using CFU considerably.  Reallocations are fairly easy and do not involve any HP.

3) Will it be worth more work than it's worth to manage two Chase accounts to send points, or will it be fine and I should open my own card and begin a banking relationship with them?  You should be ok as far as points transfers between your UR account and your wife's, IIRC.

Thanks guys, you are always the best help. I mean it Smiley Happy

I would suggest checking the Chase pre-qualification portal to gauge the odds of approval.  Some answers above as well.

Message 2 of 9
Azza
Regular Contributor

Nice responses. My pre-qualification thing at Chase doesn't work, nor did my wife's. I did the opt-in thing yesterday so hopefully next week I can give it another try.

Also sorry to hear about your crystal ball... but when you get it working again please let me know. I have some more questions to run by you.

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Based on my scores, zero lates and average age of accounts being 5 years with oldest being 13, how do I fare for a big SL with Chase for my first card?

Probably well, going to question 3, deposits would help with CL assignment. It's always YMMV and unpredictable on the consumer side.

2) Can my wife somehow get the limit on her CFU increased? I have heard Chase doesn't have a luv button, just a income input.

You can request CLI over the phone. They will ask what amount you want, the trick is to not say an amount but just CLI. If approved they are then forced to give you the max CLI the system allows (which isn't much BTW, especially for lower tier cards like Freedom/no AF). It is a hard pull and subject to 5/24 and other UW criteria.

You can instead request a CL exchange from another card to that to avoid a HP and move limit around.

3) Will it be worth more work than it's worth to manage two Chase accounts to send points, or will it be fine and I should open my own card and begin a banking relationship with them?

Banking (checking bonus!) + cards with them is great. Decent deposits help makes card approvals slightly easier.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My crystal ball isn't the greatest either (bought a cheap knockoff one on Amazon Smiley Happy ), but if your income and scores are good, and you don't have too many new accounts/inquiries, Chase can be fairly generous in issuing starting limits on new accounts, especially if you already have other cards on your reports that are in good standing with decent limits, which in your case you appear to have.  Usually the toy Chase limits are when someone apps Chase for their first card with no/poor previous history, or only starter/secured/low limit cards (is that the case with DW's CFU?)

As for your wife, she could call to ask for a CLI but it's always HP when you do, and they can be a bit on the stingy side, compared to new account limits.  But with that huge limit on her new CSR, she could call or send a secure message asking some of it to be moved over to her CFU without a HP.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFU is definitely the core Chase no annual fee card I would recommend for a strong SCL. Deposit relationships are strongly encouraged. I recommend working up to that with some decent direct deposits. FinStar can correct me if I’m wrong on combining CLs, but if your limit combination will lead to a single card having a credit limit in excess of $35,000 then a hard pull will occur automatically.
Message 6 of 9
Azza
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Usually the toy Chase limits are when someone apps Chase for their first card with no/poor previous history, or only starter/secured/low limit cards (is that the case with DW's CFU?)

It's actually a bit of an interesting story how she got a CFU. She applied for a Mary Kay card when she started selling products and she got issued some donky $500 CL card. Her credit had some marks on it at the time; I think she had ~670 or so due to a few lates (also with Chase). When her contract expired with MK her card changed to an $1100 Chase Freedom (can't remember which before the changes, but she wound up having two of the same card for a while, I think.) Now her credit and mine are toe-and-toe, hers at 767EX and mine around I think 780/90EX. They pulled her EX file when we applied for CSR.

So, yeah. Apparently I am a joint on her old CFF, but not on the CFU.

We could move the available limits around a bit if Chase is going to be stingy, but I can't remember what required line is needed as a CL for an infinite.

Anyway, I'm not excited to pull on my own for a new card... don't think I really need a new card right now. Just having pull mania lol.

edit: Hmm. We called,. Turns out they were going to close the card due to inactivity, so I'm glad we called. I got added on as an AU so I can have a copy of the card, and got a CLI. Be prepared to be blown away: $1100 increase. Smiley Indifferent (I can hear you guys shouting yooo! 100% increase!) I'm okaaay? with this? It's an acceptable line to use the card, but I definitely will have to do some payments during the month.

Hmm. Not really the outcome I wanted... I'm not sure how this will affect my credit file with the addition of a $2200 card. Now my question is if I choose to be removed from the AU, what will happen to my file, will the card just vanish? or...?

This actually created more questions than it answered, now I am frustrated. Help Smiley Sad

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
CFU is definitely the core Chase no annual fee card I would recommend for a strong SCL. Deposit relationships are strongly encouraged. I recommend working up to that with some decent direct deposits. FinStar can correct me if I’m wrong on combining CLs, but if your limit combination will lead to a single card having a credit limit in excess of $35,000 then a hard pull will occur automatically.

I'm not aware of any HPs for combining CLs in excess of $35K. Not sure if others have encountered anything like that, but I haven't seen any DPs here or elsewhere about it.  That said, I've moved/reallocated a few CLs over $35K and I've yet to see an HP.  Is this something you recently experienced @Anonymous?

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Azza wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Usually the toy Chase limits are when someone apps Chase for their first card with no/poor previous history, or only starter/secured/low limit cards (is that the case with DW's CFU?)

It's actually a bit of an interesting story how she got a CFU. She applied for a Mary Kay card when she started selling products and she got issued some donky $500 CL card. Her credit had some marks on it at the time; I think she had ~670 or so due to a few lates (also with Chase). When her contract expired with MK her card changed to an $1100 Chase Freedom (can't remember which before the changes, but she wound up having two of the same card for a while, I think.) Now her credit and mine are toe-and-toe, hers at 767EX and mine around I think 780/90EX. They pulled her EX file when we applied for CSR.

So, yeah. Apparently I am a joint on her old CFF, but not on the CFU.

We could move the available limits around a bit if Chase is going to be stingy, but I can't remember what required line is needed as a CL for an infinite.

Anyway, I'm not excited to pull on my own for a new card... don't think I really need a new card right now. Just having pull mania lol.

edit: Hmm. We called,. Turns out they were going to close the card due to inactivity, so I'm glad we called. I got added on as an AU so I can have a copy of the card, and got a CLI. Be prepared to be blown away: $1100 increase. Smiley Indifferent (I can hear you guys shouting yooo! 100% increase!) I'm okaaay? with this? It's an acceptable line to use the card, but I definitely will have to do some payments during the month.

Hmm. Not really the outcome I wanted... I'm not sure how this will affect my credit file with the addition of a $2200 card. Now my question is if I choose to be removed from the AU, what will happen to my file, will the card just vanish? or...?

This actually created more questions than it answered, now I am frustrated. Help Smiley Sad

As far as CSR, the minimum CL is $10,000 to remain under the [Chase] Visa Infinite tier for this particular card.

Well, it's one of those "lessons learned" as far the CLI.  It's usually a good strategy to move limits around (if applicable) to avoid the HP given the known DPs for how Chase can be all over the place with CLIs, profile-dependent of course.

If you remove yourself as AU, I believe the account stays there, but it may say something along the lines of "terminated" (someone can correct me on this).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.