Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Gardening What Should I Do?

tag
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

After Gardening What Should I Do?

I plan on gardening for six month's to build my aaoa back up. Right now it is only at 7 months. So in april which cards should I try for?

EQ: 679 6 iq's

TU: 707 0 iq's

EX: 668 3 iq's

Credit krama updated today 695.

I was thinking about trying for the walmart, BCE, maybe freedom card just to see if they would accept me, or a couple of store cards.

Right now I have a Discover it, Quicksilver, and Barclay rewards card.

My main focus is no annual fee, since I do not spend enough to make up for it.

Is there any better cards than that anyone think I would get. Do you think that would be to many cards to have? What do you think my chances are?

Recovering from a irresponsible au.

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

If it won't for myfico my only card would be my debt it card.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: After Gardening What Should I Do?

If you garden for six months, and then apply for three more cards, your AAoA will be back where it is now.

My suggestion would be to ask yourself what your long-term goals are.

Having a bunch of name-brand rewards cards is not the only possible goal.  For example, I'd rather have a few cards with high CLs than a lot of cards with low CLs.

Another goal of mine is to have diversification, for example cards that I can use in an emergency to carry a balance or get a loan.

Message 2 of 14
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

Definately have two 'types' of credit cards. One type for the rewards you want, and the other is a good low APR card(s) for emergencies like the above poster said.

What type of rewards do you want?

Honestly, for No Annual fee cards, my favorite is the QuickSilver and second fav would be the Freedom/Discover IT. And you already have both of those. 1.5% CB on the QuickSilver is extremely hard to beat. Even if you maxed out the Freedom 5% categories, it still wouldn't equal 1.5% back on everything (unless you solely spent on 5% categories only).

The Freedom's 5% Categories are more useful than Discover ITs 5% categories so in this case I like the Freedom more. However, the no ForEx fees and acceptance in Asia is why I like the Discover IT more. So depends on if you travel INTL a lot.

Other than what I said, your AAoA is too short, garden longer well past 4/10/14. I would put all spend on the QuickSilver and the IT for the 5% categories. Probably the best no-hassle CB combo you can have.

After gardening for at least 12-18 months (only IMO, i really don't know how long, let the experts weigh-in on this), I would get an Amex sometime in your lifetime because it helps with future AAoAs.

Message 3 of 14
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

I didn't mean all of those cards, I just meant go for one or go for a couple store cards.

But oks thank you see that's why I ask these questions. Smiley Happy

You changed my whole view on things. So my new goal is to keep my 3 cards and raise my CL's. But what if I can't get a higher limit. Is it possible to get a lower apr?

And when I do go for my 4th card I think I will try to get my foot in the door with amex. Even tho walmart gives monthly tu score.

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

Message 4 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If you went for the Walmart card in 6 month I think you would get aproved for at least the store card. You may even have a good chance of getting the Walmart Discover card. Then if you went with paperless statements you get your free TU fico score to help you judge your progress. Just my opinion.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 14
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

So don't try for the amex card yet, what about 12 months?

I'll go for the walmart card in 6, and the amex in 12. Does that sound good?

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If we are talking about April, you should go for the Amex and Walmart-let them both age together.
Message 7 of 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

definitely garden for at least 6 months, and than apply for the Freedom. Great rewards card and 0 percent interest intro offer.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

IMHO that sounds good hopefully someone with more experience with inquiries and AMEX will chime in.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Since GE primarily pulls TU- with 0 inq's that should be fine. Unless you are triple pulled, Amex usually pulls EX with only 3 inq's. Depending on the last exp inq by April, it may not factor into your FICO score.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.