cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Again, why do people care about Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Again, why do people care about Capital One?

wrote:
Not a fan myself, but not every card can be a 2% nor can everyone just app an Amex or Citi and get it. Regardless of reward structures, some people need to go CO route, according to their profiles, while others seem to make it work for them .

Just a quick example on the Venture One card, recent post showed how some would prefer changing their Venture to the One as they could make it work nice for them with that 10x on the Hotel.com deal.

I agree the triple pulls are insane but it is what it is and many , including Chase , often pull 2, not so far away from 3Smiley Wink

From some of the comments on here lately, it seems as if Capital One has had higher requirements for their cards, even more so than a Citi or Chase would, which is hilarious seeing as Capital One's cards suck in comparison. 

Message 11 of 134
kdm31091
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I agree that none of their products are super appealing. The only real thing the cash back cards have going for them are ease of redemption and no minimum threshold hassles.

They are a decent option for rebuilding i.e. secured, Platinum, etc because they don't have any crazy fees or anything. But once you reach the good/excellent level, better options are out there.

I guess what Baffles me is that nobody in their executive offices has the knowledge to realize what's out there. 

Why not look around and see what's grabbing customers? 

Chase has their ultimate rewards which includes: travel partners, rewards bonuses through their portal, and travel benefits on their Sapphire Cards that Capital One doesn't have (primary rental insurance, free roadside assistance, etc.). Why not introduce a $450 premium travel card? Why not increase the rewards and benefits on the Quicksilver and Venture cards? 

I honestly wish I could take over the company and overhaul their cards. 

I think overall CO isn't after the same customer base as those offering "premium" cards. I could never see them having a $450 AF card. Many  people seem to associate CO with starter/rebuilder type of cards.

Message 12 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to J.D Power, when it comes to customer satisfaction, Capital One ranks high, right behind Amex and Discover. They rank ahead Of Citi and Chase.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-jd-power-credit-card-study

Message 13 of 134
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

wrote:

Venture card = Stinks. $95 annual fee to get limited 2% cash back with no special travel benefits. 

Venture One = Stinks, same as above except no AF and limited 1.25% back.

Quicksviler = Stinks, only 1.5% cash back when there's plenty that give 2% or more back.

Quicksilver One = Stinks, $39 annual fee and 24.99% APR, only 1.5% cash back.

Journey = Stinks, 1-1.25% back isn't good compared to other student cards.

Business cards = Stink, they reflect similar issues to the consumer credit cards. 

Capital One seems to be increasing their AF's and heightening their underwriting criteria, while keeping their medicore rewards systems in place. I'm not really sure what people see in C.O? Surely Chase, AMEX, Citi, and others are much, much better lenders. And then of course you have the world famous "triple pull" when lenders like AMEX either soft pull for new apps (existing members) or pull just one report. 

Not everyone is going to be a "fan" of every product, which btw thanks for leaving PenFed ;-)  Interestingly enough, it always appears as though you have a gripe or are annoyed about everything ;-)  Lighten up, if a card, ,product, bank/CU, policies, design, or any other annoying factor is not suitable for your lifestyle, then part ways.   There's plenty of opportunity in just about every product if used wisely and these forums are not the end all and be all when it comes to the masses of consumers that every lender caters to.  Simply a small piece of the pie.

@Anonymous being said, Capital One has been great to me and my needs ever since they absorbed Signet Bank.  Over the years (including my two single $50K approvals from a couple years ago) where I was able to combine into one single card @ $133K.  Low APR, no issues redeeming rewards, no CLD.  Granted, I'm an outlier in the grand scheme of things for a high income earner, but I've found no issue with their cards, rewards or benefits.  To some people, they may be mediocre or "subpar" but that's why there's other institutions to chose from.

At the end of the day, we're all grateful for a free enterprise economy which provides the viability for being able to choose what we want and those products that benefit our lifestyles.  Whether that means a customer who is starting out, rebuilding, optimizing some rewards or SUB, or even complementing their profile for the long term.  I'm definitely not ashamed of carrying their product.

There, my .02 cents Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 134
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I do like the QS for cash back without a foreign transaction fee (and no annual fee).  Dunno offhand of another offering with that combination (but please enlighten me).

Hope to be able to qualify for one when my EX score improves and my recent INQs fade (added 4 CCs in December).

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 15 of 134
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Quicksilver is a solid card, and comes with some SUB, to some people. This is/was so many peoples first credit card. I will always throw at least a little spend their way. I won't carry a balance at their high rates, though.

Message 16 of 134
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

You left out the rewards the cards offer. The Venture card is very similar to the Arrival Plus and right now offers 50,000 points, which is 10K points better than the Arrival Plus. After the minimum spend, the Venture card returns $560, which isn't too bad. As others have noted, Capital One is also a good entry-level card provider and option for people rebuilding their credit. But you are right Cap One is not in the same league as Amex or Chase. I've never had a Citi card but it seems to me Citi doesn't offer anything exciting right now. 

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 17 of 134
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Venture card = Stinks. $95 annual fee to get limited 2% cash back with no special travel benefits. 

Venture One = Stinks, same as above except no AF and limited 1.25% back.

Quicksviler = Stinks, only 1.5% cash back when there's plenty that give 2% or more back.

Quicksilver One = Stinks, $39 annual fee and 24.99% APR, only 1.5% cash back.

Journey = Stinks, 1-1.25% back isn't good compared to other student cards.

Business cards = Stink, they reflect similar issues to the consumer credit cards. 

Capital One seems to be increasing their AF's and heightening their underwriting criteria, while keeping their medicore rewards systems in place. I'm not really sure what people see in C.O? Surely Chase, AMEX, Citi, and others are much, much better lenders. And then of course you have the world famous "triple pull" when lenders like AMEX either soft pull for new apps (existing members) or pull just one report. 

Not everyone is going to be a "fan" of every product, which btw thanks for leaving PenFed ;-)  Interestingly enough, it always appears as though you have a gripe or are annoyed about everything ;-)  Lighten up, if a card, ,product, bank/CU, policies, design, or any other annoying factor is not suitable for your lifestyle, then part ways.   There's plenty of opportunity in just about every product if used wisely and these forums are not the end all and be all when it comes to the masses of consumers that every lender caters to.  Simply a small piece of the pie.

@Anonymous being said, Capital One has been great to me and my needs ever since they absorbed Signet Bank.  Over the years (including my two single $50K approvals from a couple years ago) where I was able to combine into one single card @ $133K.  Low APR, no issues redeeming rewards, no CLD.  Granted, I'm an outlier in the grand scheme of things for a high income earner, but I've found no issue with their cards, rewards or benefits.  To some people, they may be mediocre or "subpar" but that's why there's other institutions to chose from.

At the end of the day, we're all grateful for a free enterprise economy which provides the viability for being able to choose what we want and those products that benefit our lifestyles.  Whether that means a customer who is starting out, rebuilding, optimizing some rewards or SUB, or even complementing their profile for the long term.  I'm definitely not ashamed of carrying their product.

There, my .02 cents Smiley Happy

Not really sure what you mean here. 

Penfed is pretty annoying because of their ways. I don't really that much of an issue with any other card company (other than C.O). I mean I do think 5/24 from Chase and delayed rewards from AMEX are irritating, but those aren't that big of a deal, and I currently have a bunch of AMEX cards and respect Chase's reasoning behind the 5/24 policy. 

I'm just curious as to what makes people choose Capital One when there are superior products out there with the same underwriting criteria. 

Message 18 of 134
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It was my first card and a solid one. As mentioned earlier, no foreign transaction fees is a nice feature. It's been in my wallet for 11 years. Unless they close it on me. It will be there for many more.
Message 19 of 134
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

wrote:

You left out the rewards the cards offer. The Venture card is very similar to the Arrival Plus and right now offers 50,000 points, which is 10K points better than the Arrival Plus. After the minimum spend, the Venture card returns $560, which isn't too bad. As others have noted, Capital One is also a good entry-level card and option for people trying to rebuild their credit. But you are right Cap One is not in the same league as Amex or Chase. I've never had a Citi card but it seems to me that Citi doesn't offer anything exciting right now. 

Not to hijack the thread, but the Citi Simplicity has a 21-month zero percent interest, no late fee, no penalty rate, etc. Best card to carry a BT, I think.

Message 20 of 134
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.