Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ah! Pre-Approvals taunting me!

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Ah! Pre-Approvals taunting me!

I have four pre-approvals right now taunting me and I am unsure if I should accept or not!  These are all commenity cards so soft pulls and all of which I would use and normally shop at.  I currently have 3 items reporting positive and don't know if I should get a couple more or not Smiley Surprised Advice?

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Ah! Pre-Approvals taunting me!

Shred them!!! Garden!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

If you're going to use and SP's go for it Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Going to hurt your aaoa........

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Honestly I don't have aaoa since all the accounts I currently have are around a month old LOL, nothing else but a old charge off before that.

Message 5 of 10
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

All Open Accounts: 3

Average Age of Accounts: 0 yr 0 mo

Age of Oldest Account: 0 yr 1 mo

This is from CreditKarma, so would me getting these  still have a bad affect on my score? 

Message 6 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

All Open Accounts: 3

Average Age of Accounts: 0 yr 0 mo

Age of Oldest Account: 0 yr 1 mo

This is from CreditKarma, so would me getting these  still have a bad affect on my score? 

since you have zero AAoA, it won't affect your score.

you can pretty much go apply, if you want.

However, some prime banks take into consideration how much CL you have vs. your income when you're applying with them for the 1st time with zero prior relationship, so some may turn u down if your CL to income ratio is too ridiculous, on top of the fact that your AAoA is low.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 10
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Gah!!  Shred that garbage!

Hold out for a better offer from the likes of Capital One.  Then jump! 

Use the simple rule "If it does not have a Visa or MC logo (or amex or disc) shred it just that fast."

Then use the next rule "If its from First premeier or Credit One shred yesterday"

Grow what you have.  In 90 days pull those reports and come back here and ask what to do next.  So many people take store cards when they can simply wait a month or two and would probably have a nice preapproval for a major which they can use anywhere.  Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 8 of 10
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

I admit, I accepted one but I DO shop there atleast twice a month, so since I'm already spending the money I might as well do it while building my credit!  Well atleast that is how I justify it LOL

Message 9 of 10
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I'll bite.  What did you get?

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.