Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline credit for PRG card holders

tag
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: Airline credit for PRG card holders

@charp150 wrote:

This means that if you purchase Delta GC's and expect the AMEX travel credit, you should only do so from the 'desktop site' and not mobile as the transaction codes differently (a third party, I believe) and thusly would not trigger the credit. 

Desktop client just means the 'desktop version' of the site.  Sorry for the nerd speak. 

Thank you for that. And by Desktop Version of..... AMEX Portal of some kind or lets say American.com or Delta.com website's. Or Grocery store GC's? What's throwing me off is "of the site" now.

Forgive my lack or knowledge of this subject.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 11 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Many small denomination EGC works. 

Cheap WN tickets (under $100) will also trigger the credit.

Doc has a page summarizing datapoints on what works or not, worth it to take a look there.

I've always been curious about what would be RAT's take on this widely known 'abuse' of benefit. Are RATs worried that too many will close the cards for good if they tighten it down so they have not done anything (yet)?

Will you still keep plat/gold if the side roads are closed and you have to burn it up by paying incidentals on the same carrier?

I will have to take a look. Its too bad i was hoping to buy some AA miles to supplement my AA mile balance, doesn't look like you are allowed to do that. I will probably buy AA or WN GC when the time comes. I was thinking of AA to help supplement a quick trip to bermuda haven't been there in quite a while.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 26
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Basic rule is don't buy gift cards from your phone or tablet.  Only buy them from your laptop or desktop computer and you should be fine.

I got the PRG in Aug.  Used $80 of the credit on WN EBCI for a Denver trip for my wife and I.  I'm going to use the last $20 as a WN gift card, pair it with next years credit for our trip to Disney World.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CramEiko wrote:

@charp150 wrote:

This means that if you purchase Delta GC's and expect the AMEX travel credit, you should only do so from the 'desktop site' and not mobile as the transaction codes differently (a third party, I believe) and thusly would not trigger the credit. 

Desktop client just means the 'desktop version' of the site.  Sorry for the nerd speak. 

Thank you for that. And by Desktop Version of..... AMEX Portal of some kind or lets say American.com or Delta.com website's. Or Grocery store GC's? What's throwing me off is "of the site" now.

The 'site' in this instance is referring to whichever airline you're purchasing the GCs from. 

If you go to the airline site using a tablet or mobile phone, you will probably not trigger the incidental credit - you need to do it from a computer.  (I know this is true with Delta, but to be safe I would suggest using a computer for any other airline as well.)

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CramEiko wrote:

@charp150 wrote:

Websites have a mobile version and a deskot/laptop version for configurations. You need to buy the gift cards from a desktop computer/laptop, that's all. Don't do it from a cellphone.

Message 15 of 26
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.

I was thinking more directly as to what site. Specific airline dot com? or buying them through another source? I've even heard of people buying specific airline GS's at grocery stores. Thanks, the desktop/laptop purchase is a great resource for purchasing in the future.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 16 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CramEiko wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

I was thinking more directly as to what site. Specific airline dot com? or buying them through another source? I've even heard of people buying specific airline GS's at grocery stores. Thanks, the desktop/laptop purchase is a great resource for purchasing in the future.

You have to buy them on the airline's website (i.e. whichever airline you have pre-selected with Amex). 

The idea is for the purchase to trigger the Amex airline incidental credit... that of course can't happen if you buy the gift card at a grocery store.  This works because the Amex computers "see" the GC purchase similar to how a baggage charge, etc. would show up.

Edited to add:  This is not supposed to work, but it (usually) does.  If for some reason it doesn't, because either you do it wrong or they 'fix' the loophole you have no recourse.  In other words, you can't call and complain since it's not designed to work this way to begin with.

Message 17 of 26
charp150
Valued Member

A few months ago I was with some friends at the SkyClub heading to Vegas. We ran up a tab to the tune of ~$175 on premium drinks. I put it on my platinum thinking the travel credit would kick in. It never did.  I called AMEX and asked about it.  CSR told me that the credit only covers lounge access fees, not in lounge purchases.  I told the CSR that I clearly misunderstood the travel credit scope, thanked him, and hungup.  An hour or so later I got a call from an AMEX supervisor who apologized for the misunderstanding and explained that they would issue a $175 statement credit to cover it.  The credit was there the next day and they didn't even deduct anything from my incidental balance.  Things like this are the reason AMEX will always get my business before any other card issuer.  

Message 18 of 26
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Has this worked on Southwest?

Asking for a friend 😀
Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 19 of 26
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@ScoreSizzle wrote:
Has this worked on Southwest?

Asking for a friend 😀

Yes, it does work for Southwest. But remember, you must designate Southwest as your airline of choice before you purchase the giftcard, in order to trigger the credit. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.