Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Credit Card - Keep or Cancel, personal vs. business

tag
ficomember
Contributor

Alaska Credit Card - Keep or Cancel, personal vs. business

I am having a dillema with Alaska credit card with BoA. So I have the personal card for 5 years now, and I just got a Business version of the card. Now my personal card's annual fee is due $75 (same as biz version). 

Should I keep the personal card and when my biz annual fee is due, cancel the biz version? Or I should keep the biz and cancel the personal? I know the personal has longer history, but I want to make it easy for me in the future to open Alaska credit card and other credit cards for great sign up bonuses. What do you think I should do here? I do not want both and keep paying two annual fees. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Alaska Credit Card - Keep or Cancel, personal vs. business

If you think you can get another personal SUB in future just close it . The original will stay on your report up to 10 years or more.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This would depend greatly on several factors not given.

Older accounts are alwasy going to look better than new ones. Hence 5 years versus any that would be added now or in the future.

With each new account it lowers AAoA. If this even matters to you. With that said, Biz cards will not show on you Personal CR. 

But if you plan is to alternate every few years, i'm sure at some point they'll catch on. And likely will stop handing out these SUBS.

Are you not using the card(s) enough to justify the AF at all? It is rather low on the AF spectrum.

How long have you had the BIZ version? It might be better to cancel that one as it's a newer account, keeping the 5 year history on personal side. 

Message 3 of 6
ficomember
Contributor

Thank you for your response. Now that I think about it, it might be easier to close and open business cards than personal card due to Chase 5/24 rule. Every time I apply for a personal card, it'll take a slot on my credit report. Am I thinking this right? 

Message 4 of 6
ficomember
Contributor

I love the annual companion, but 2 annual fees with 2 companion tickets every year, I won't be able to take advantage of both. Therefore, I'd rather keep one open but not too. 

Message 5 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you can't find a way to use both companion tickets each year then I'd ditch one because the card at that point really doesn't serve a purpose.  However, I'd be stoked to get another Alaska Airlines card because I get a lot of value out of the companion ticket and because I live in an area that doesn't have many elites, getting an upgraded (even paid) is almost always available for very little extra.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.