cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Chase cards closed again thanks to BMW dealership and my stupidity.

tag
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: All Chase cards closed again thanks to BMW dealership and my stupidity.

@HiLine wrote:
For those that missed the auxiliary information spread over this thread and given in a previous thread, enharu's case is exceptional because:

1. Chase has a lot of credit exposure with him; he has been a big client for several years.
2. He opened 16 new credit accounts in 2 years with presumably high limits (think 100k+)
3. Chase closed his accounts 6 months ago and put him on a watch list, so any credit action deemed risky by Chase would flag his accounts.

Lacking any of these 3 factors, he probably would not have been treated the way he was. So in general, don't freak out. It is rate to see someone in this situation.

Enharu, sorry to hear what happened to your Chase accounts. I didn't follow the other thread closely, but did you try voluntarily cutting the limits on the Chase to reduce their exposure with you?

Thanks for the recap. Now all is clear.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 31 of 57
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@sunkissed wrote:

enharu, I'm sorry about your situation.  I recall the last round you had with Chase.  Hopefully this will work out favorably again for you.  Try to tread more lightly going forward!  Best of luck to you.  Please keep us posted.

+1

Hi, Enharu. I've too wondered where on earth you were. I'm sure you'll do just fine with or WITHOUT Chase - however I know you want to keep them ! I'm sure you'll get everything back, but it's a PITA process all over again.

SisterGirl
Message 32 of 57
keithB
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:
Quick question... Why does Chase keep closing all of your accounts? That's really not a common practice of theirs.. Or is it?

Good question... It seems to me Chase would be kissing the ground you walk on, seeing how you are a Palladium card holder.... Something sounds off here :smileyindifferent:

Why?  You seem quick to assume (in general if not here) that facts are being withheld!

The same high limits that show enharu is considered an important customer to Chase is also considered a liability by the security/fraud part of Chase, who would probably prefer that the bank gave no-one unsecured credit!   So as their exposure rises, they pay more and more attention, and one of the danger signals they look for is searching for, and especially obtaining new credit.   Maybe enharu is going to max out the cards and run.

In this case, it is mainly because he being watched closely from the previous incident, and getting even a single new account, even after 6 months, tripped the alarm.

Really, being watched closely?  Why?  What does Chase have to worry about sooooo much they would put OP in the "max out the cards and run" bucket?

As for Palladium, do they just hand those out to anyone?  If that's the case, when my Slate arrives I think I'll call up and PC it into Palladium Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:
Quick question... Why does Chase keep closing all of your accounts? That's really not a common practice of theirs.. Or is it?

Good question... It seems to me Chase would be kissing the ground you walk on, seeing how you are a Palladium card holder.... Something sounds off here :smileyindifferent:

Why?  You seem quick to assume (in general if not here) that facts are being withheld!

The same high limits that show enharu is considered an important customer to Chase is also considered a liability by the security/fraud part of Chase, who would probably prefer that the bank gave no-one unsecured credit!   So as their exposure rises, they pay more and more attention, and one of the danger signals they look for is searching for, and especially obtaining new credit.   Maybe enharu is going to max out the cards and run.

In this case, it is mainly because he being watched closely from the previous incident, and getting even a single new account, even after 6 months, tripped the alarm.

Really, being watched closely?  Why?  What does Chase have to worry about sooooo much they would put OP in the "max out the cards and run" bucket?

As for Palladium, do they just hand those out to anyone?  If that's the case, when my Slate arrives I think I'll call up and PC it into Palladium Smiley Wink

Of course not, where do you get that from?   Most large companies have groups with different concerns.  Just as marketing sends "pre-approvals" or "invitation to apply"out, because it is their job to increase market share, other groups may deny such applications, because it is their job to prevent potential loss.   So enharu is getting his high-value cards because he is a great high-income customer, and they want to make Chase a big part of his spend.

But, a few months ago, a group apparently decided that his behavior was of potential concern and closed his cards.   He was able eventually to get them back, but with on  understanding that there would not be a lot of new credit being sought.   And, because he was basically on probation, this single account (and maybe the lease) was enough for the same group to take the same action.

I don't understand why you find this hard to believe.   What is your theory?  The whole story is untrue (enharu doesn't have the cards, or they never got closed)?  Or he is missing about the bit where he has a $5M charge off, is being investigated for bank fraud?   Or what?

Message 34 of 57
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

This is a general question, but does Chase or any big bank care if you close many CC"s at same time?  I'm reducing my portfolio by a lot and have already closed 2 GEMB CC's, AMEX and CapONe in last month.  Gonna be closing a couple more as I don't need CC's with high APR's once the 0% ends.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 35 of 57
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@dallasjetfan wrote:

This is a general question, but does Chase or any big bank care if you close many CC"s at same time?  I'm reducing my portfolio by a lot and have already closed 2 GEMB CC's, AMEX and CapONe in last month.  Gonna be closing a couple more as I don't need CC's with high APR's once the 0% ends.

if it doesn't effect your total UTL by much I don't think they will care, especially if you aren't closing their card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 36 of 57
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story enharu. Glad to see the dealer will remove the inq and cc account. I'd be interested to know if Chanse reinstates your accounts as they said they would consider it. Keep us posted. Sorry about the headache...but hey...at least you have a shiney new toy to keep your distracted from this nightmare Smiley Tongue

Message 37 of 57
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

I'm also leasing a BMW but did not get the "combo" deal. Fortunately, I was never even offered one.

I opened more than 16 cards in less than 2 years (3 of which are Chase cards) and have way more than 15 inqs but I never heard any concerns from Chase regarding them. I wonder if I should be worried too. I do PIF every month and never carried any balance before though.

What kind of a good deal did you get on your M4 if you don't mind me asking? MF and residual? I'm considering that after my current lease.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 38 of 57
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

I'm also leasing a BMW but did not get the "combo" deal. Fortunately, I was never even offered one.

I opened more than 16 cards in less than 2 years (3 of which are Chase cards) and have way more than 15 inqs but I never heard any concerns from Chase regarding them. I wonder if I should be worried too. I do PIF every month and never carried any balance before though.

What kind of a good deal did you get on your M4 if you don't mind me asking? MF and residual? I'm considering that after my current lease.

I'm worried too.

But from the sounds of it, the OP has had some history of some sort with Chase...?  I don't know the backstory that others seem to.

Message 39 of 57
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IIRC, Enharu decreased his cl on his Freedom as a result of the AA 6 mos ago.

ETA: He also lowered his exposure with other lenders 

Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.