Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

I just logged onto my Chase app for the usual daily check and found that 119K points were "transferred to Amazon" yesterday. Come again?!

I don't even use the Shop with Points feature and immediately checked my amazon account to find all was in order so I'm not sure how/where the fraud took place. Has anyone else's UR account been drained like this? I'm very worried.

I am going to call Chase first thing tomorrow but I'm worried that getting these points back is going to be a battle.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

I think as long as the fraudster has your card info they can add it to an Amazon account then pay with Chase points from there, something like that.

It doesn't have much (any?) verification, so points can get drained easily

Message 2 of 31
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Let us know how the call goes. I hope you're able to get them back, and that they're able to track where those points went. 

Message 3 of 31
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry this happened. I'm sure Chase will be able to get to the bottom of this. Because of post like this is why I don't link my reward accounts to Amazon.

Amazon seems to have the most lax'd security. I was shocked that you can add cards without needing the CVV number.
Message 4 of 31
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
Sorry this happened. I'm sure Chase will be able to get to the bottom of this. Because of post like this is why I don't link my reward accounts to Amazon.

Amazon seems to have the most lax'd security. I was shocked that you can add cards without needing the CVV number.

Ya, I just noticed this. About 10 minutes ago I added my PNC card to reload a dollar to my gift card balance, and it did not need the CVV.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geez, that's insane. Calling them soon, will keep you all updated. Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 31
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Is this a new thing? I feel like it used to be a requirement, but recently I haven't seen it. Although they do ask for the card number again for the first purchase at least which doesn't really add any more protection.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called Chase and after all of the fraud-related questions, I was finally told that the points would be put back onto my account. What a relief! I am grateful for their fraud and customer protection teams. 

Message 8 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Is this a new thing? I feel like it used to be a requirement, but recently I haven't seen it. Although they do ask for the card number again for the first purchase at least which doesn't really add any more protection.

So that makes me wonder if CVV is a little like the TSA, feels it adds security without really doing so!    What happens if I go to a merchant site and enter the wrong CVV a few times.   Does the card get blocked by the issuer (I haven't heard of this)?   If not, it's pretty easy to see how someone could spread attempts over several sites and find a working CVV.

Message 9 of 31
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Loquat wrote:

Yup, Amazon has very lax security as soon as I stopped keeping cards on file with them in 2015 the theft of my cards stopped.... I even canceled my account with them in 2016 but have since opened another for very few things..

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.