cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

tag
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: All of my Chase Points are GONE???!!

I'm even more offended by the 0.7 cents per point redemption rate of ultimate rewards on Amazon. Yuck! The points thief should be jailed for that alone...

Message 21 of 31
sxa001
Valued Contributor

This is a good reminder to go remove any cards from Amazon that aren't actively being used.  Fraud these days is rampant, the thieves just keep getting better at exploitation of security in order to steal information and gather information.  

I really do like hoarding points because using them for travel at higher redemption values makes sense but this does make just cashing out points for cash a little more attractive.  

Message 22 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I have 25+ cards stored on amazon...  Meh not responsible for unauthorized charges, but something to keep in mind if a charge ever happens.  Losing the points was certainly an inconvience, but sounds like easily reconciled.

Message 23 of 31
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I have 25+ cards stored on amazon...  

You've got me beat, but I have more than several.  I think all this talk about Amazon having lax security are unfounded.  On the contrary, I consider them the most secure online retailer, and I by far trust storing my payment information with them over any other.  If someone stole your points on Amazon, it was likely not through your Amazon account that they acquired your card number.  Rather, it is more likely that they acquired your card number somewhere else, and added it to a different Amazon account.  Presumably they must have also known your address.  Not requiring a CVV to use points on a newly added card does seem like an oversight, if true, but this has nothing to do with the security of your payment card information on your Amazon account.

If they did use points from your actual Amazon account, well, it sounds like you have a security issue with your Amazon account credentials.  I think it is disingenuous to put Amazon entirely at fault for that. 

Message 24 of 31
GrandBaker
Contributor

Thank you for reporting this and also following up with the response from Chase. I know understand why my Citi DC card got hacked ... twice. Both times I had it on Amazon. I switched to my AMEX and have since unenrolled from points option on Amazon.

Message 25 of 31
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@dogmeat wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I have 25+ cards stored on amazon...  

You've got me beat, but I have more than several.  I think all this talk about Amazon having lax security are unfounded.  On the contrary, I consider them the most secure online retailer, and I by far trust storing my payment information with them over any other.  If someone stole your points on Amazon, it was likely not through your Amazon account that they acquired your card number.  Rather, it is more likely that they acquired your card number somewhere else, and added it to a different Amazon account.  Presumably they must have also known your address.  Not requiring a CVV to use points on a newly added card does seem like an oversight, if true, but this has nothing to do with the security of your payment card information on your Amazon account.

If they did use points from your actual Amazon account, well, it sounds like you have a security issue with your Amazon account credentials.  I think it is disingenuous to put Amazon entirely at fault for that. 

Agreed. It's more often the case people reuse passwords for multiple websites. Many popular retailers and websites were hacked over the last 8 years. If you reuse the same password, it's very easy for a hacker to go dumpster diving for your password based on your email. Visit the website below to see if your password appears in a databreach. This site will tell you if your password appears in any database and even tell you specifically each place it was breached. It's a trusted and vetted security researcher-based website. If you don't feel comfortable inputting your password (without context), you can also just put your email address. I'm pretty sure most would get goosebumps when they realize how many times their information has been breached. 

http://haveibeenpwned.com/

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 26 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hasn't been a requirement for years. They pay extra processing fees to avoid having to hassle their customers to update their CVVs. 

Well, they have to hassle you to update the expiration date, which changes at the same time as CVV so I doubt that!

They have automatically updated the expiration date on my Capital One card twice now, much like Spotify did with my whole card number, expiration, and CVV much to my annoyance when I canceled the card because they kept billing it (it's another "feature" that credit card companies offer to recurring billing services). 

But, I also think it's card/issuer specific.  5 of the CCs (debit and CCs) on my Amazon profile required the expiration update, they didn't update automatically.  The other ones did, though.

Message 27 of 31
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Not having to enter CVV has annoyed me for years. My Chase Amazon is the only card that stays linked. I haven't had any issues with those points.

When using other cards, I link for purchase and delete as soon as I get text purchase alert.

Message 28 of 31
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called Chase and after all of the fraud-related questions, I was finally told that the points would be put back onto my account. What a relief! I am grateful for their fraud and customer protection teams. 

^^^ THIS is the most important thing to come out of this thread, not all that stuff about Amazon.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 29 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called Chase and after all of the fraud-related questions, I was finally told that the points would be put back onto my account. What a relief! I am grateful for their fraud and customer protection teams. 

^^^ THIS is the most important thing to come out of this thread, not all that stuff about Amazon.

Often times, a variety of individuals can benefit from some additional information as it relates to the topic at hand.  And, while it's great that the OP provided an update and positive outcome to their fraud instance, if you have already obtained the pertinent information that helps you then you can simply scroll or move on to another topic.

I believe individuals can make their own informed decisions about what's important for them on each topic/thread without the patronizing stance.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.