Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of my new cards have arrived...

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

All of my new cards have arrived...

... and have been set about performing their respective tasks.

BoA BankAmericard UCF Alumni Visa Signature: Serves as my all-around cash back card. Focusing on using it for gas and groceries because of the 3%-2% cash back on these categories, unless it's one of Discover's rotating bonus quarters.

Discover: As mentioned above, I'm using this for the cash back bonus quarters. I'll continue using this for gas through the end of the month.

Citi Diamond Preferred: 0% interest for 18 months. I wanted this card because Citi can be generous with CLs and I wanted a card with a good promotional intro rate in case I wanted or needed to float a balance. As it happens, almost immediately after getting approved for the card, I wound up needing to have some emergency dental work done. I have more than enough set aside in emergency savings to cover the bill, but I'd rather let the funds sit in an interest bearing account and use Citi's money free of charge for the next three months. So, I put the dental work on the Citi card and will pay it off by November. Then the card will still have a 0% intro rate for a good, long time, and I'll have the credit line available in case life throws something else at me.

And finally, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa: I asked for and received an AU card for my DH. With a $7000 CL, this will be the high limit card for his wallet as he continues to rebuild his own credit.

Anything that doesn't fall into the above categories either goes on the appropriate store card (Dillard's, JCP or very rarely, Kay's), or it goes on my Amex Green. In case a merchant doesn't take Amex -- such as my hair salon -- it will go on BoA for the 1% cash back.

It feels wonderful to have all of my new cards activated and performing in their respective niches. It feels like having a good set of tools available, ready to be used for the appropriate job. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: All of my new cards have arrived...

@tinuviel wrote:

... and have been set about performing their respective tasks.

BoA BankAmericard UCF Alumni Visa Signature: Serves as my all-around cash back card. Focusing on using it for gas and groceries because of the 3%-2% cash back on these categories, unless it's one of Discover's rotating bonus quarters.

Discover: As mentioned above, I'm using this for the cash back bonus quarters. I'll continue using this for gas through the end of the month.

Citi Diamond Preferred: 0% interest for 18 months. I wanted this card because Citi can be generous with CLs and I wanted a card with a good promotional intro rate in case I wanted or needed to float a balance. As it happens, almost immediately after getting approved for the card, I wound up needing to have some emergency dental work done. I have more than enough set aside in emergency savings to cover the bill, but I'd rather let the funds sit in an interest bearing account and use Citi's money free of charge for the next three months. So, I put the dental work on the Citi card and will pay it off by November. Then the card will still have a 0% intro rate for a good, long time, and I'll have the credit line available in case life throws something else at me.

And finally, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa: I asked for and received an AU card for my DH. With a $7000 CL, this will be the high limit card for his wallet as he continues to rebuild his own credit.

Anything that doesn't fall into the above categories either goes on the appropriate store card (Dillard's, JCP or very rarely, Kay's), or it goes on my Amex Green. In case a merchant doesn't take Amex -- such as my hair salon -- it will go on BoA for the 1% cash back.

It feels wonderful to have all of my new cards activated and performing in their respective niches. It feels like having a good set of tools available, ready to be used for the appropriate job. Smiley Happy

Very awesome Tinu!!!

WTG!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amazing! I feel sorry for people who are anti-credit! Clearly, us who use credit wisely are the smart ones !!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Very cool Tinu! Enjoy "working" them to your advantage!  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Amazing! I feel sorry for people who are anti-credit! Clearly, us who use credit wisely are the smart ones !!:-)

That's exactly how I feel about it. Credit cards are tools, and like any other tool, they can hurt you if used carelessly, or they can be very beneficial if used properly. My father-in-law is very adverse to credit, and believes that living a credit free life is indisputably the best option. But I have to say, when we go to Lowe's and use my DH's card, I smile every time. Why? Because I know that we just saved 5% at the register, whereas when my father-in-law goes in and pays cash, he's paying the full price. The fact is that if you use credit wisely, it will save you money.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats. Use them wisely so they in return open more doors for you in the future.

Message 6 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new CCs! I know how good it feels to finally have credit again after a long rebuilding journey... and to be using it to your advantage w/cash back and 0% financing, when needed. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 10
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

That's great Tinu.  Every card has a job to do.  And they are doing it well.

Congrats again!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Smart....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 10
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

That's a super collection. Congrats! See you in the garden. Smiley Wink

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.