cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All this talk about UTL and CLD's or AA has me nervous!

tag
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

All this talk about UTL and CLD's or AA has me nervous!

Hey guys! I'm pretty nervous because I started my Christmas Shopping early so my utilization on my credit cards are quite high right now.  Especially Best Buy and Amazon store card. I've read a few post about high UTL and CLD's and or even creditor's closing accounts and it's got me kind of nervous! 

I usually make huge payments, but I've been carrying a balance on most of my credit cards for the past month, and Amazon and Best Buy I have the 18 month no finance  deal.  My UTL is at 60% right now, but I plan to pay everything down or PIF (EXCEPT Amazon and Best Buy) late December - Early January.  Am I at risk for CLD's???? Or other Adverse Action??  I mean, I have no baddies, perfect payment history on all accounts,  just high UTL temporarily due to holiday shopping. Would they penalize me this quickly??  Sheesh!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: All this talk about UTL and CLD's or AA has me nervous!

As long you make a solid payment for the last 6 months and don't carry more than 60% balance then you should be fine. Remember Cc company make some part of money by charge interest........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 7
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

As long you make a solid payment for the last 6 months and don't carry more than 60% balance then you should be fine. Remember Cc company make some part of money by charge interest........

That's so good to hear!  I'm in good shape then.  Up until the last month, I've always either PIF or paid a huge lump sum.  The last thing I wanted was to be dinged for one month or two of high utl! LOL! Whew!

Message 3 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Speaking with the Amazon store card analyst yesterday, she said they would only become conscerned if you had a very large balance and only made minimum payments. She said charging a large amount or carrying it does not matter, as that is what the promotions are for, but they like people to pay more than the minimum on the large charges.

I reckon you have to have high utilisation for at least six or eight months before other companies will begin to think something could be up. I say you have nothing to worry about.

Message 4 of 7
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Speaking with the Amazon store card analyst yesterday, she said they would only become conscerned if you had a very large balance and only made minimum payments. She said charging a large amount or carrying it does not matter, as that is what the promotions are for, but they like people to pay more than the minimum on the large charges.

I reckon you have to have high utilisation for at least six or eight months before other companies will begin to think something could be up. I say you have nothing to worry about.

Okay, good info! Thanks!  I am a huge Amazon shopper and I've used them a lot over the last month or so for that no interest deal. I always pay more than the min. so that's good news indeed.

Message 5 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it either.  I've been carrying high balances on a couple cards for several months now.  They were 0% offers.  I pay more than the minimum, but they are at about 80% utilization.  I'll pay them off in the next couple months before the 0% expires, but have no intention of paying earlier.  My other cards are getting substantial use and I PIF, so I doubt they are worried about anything. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it either.  I've been carrying high balances on a couple cards for several months now.  They were 0% offers.  I pay more than the minimum, but they are at about 80% utilization.  I'll pay them off in the next couple months before the 0% expires, but have no intention of paying earlier.  My other cards are getting substantial use and I PIF, so I doubt they are worried about anything. 

Thanks Walt_K!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.