Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Credit Card

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Alliant Credit Card

So I got the ball rolling late last week with an SSL through Alliant.

Am currently waiting for a small amount to be posted to my bank account to be able to join them and transfer the SSL funds.

Today I get an email with some 'pre-approvals'. Included:

Also, I have a few pre qualified offers which I believe you would benefit from.  Please let me know if you would be interested.

-          Auto loan with rate as low as 2.49% for purchases and refinance

-          Visa credit card with rate as low as 0% for first year with no balance transfer fee.

-          Free checking account with $20 per month for ATM fee reimbursement

--------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I replied asking about the Visa. She explained about a couple of them, the Platinum no rewards and the one with rewards.

In the 'pre-approval' it says as low as 0% apr/balance transfer fees.

So I picked that one and explained what PenFed had recently approved me for and that I was looking to close my Chase checking/savings account and move my direct deposit to a CU.

I told her if she can match or come close to their offer, I would accept the offer.

She emailed me back and told me she would look into it.

A few minutes later I get alerts that they pulled my EQ.

Now i know when going for a card to always anticipate a HP, but for some reason I thought I read here that a pre-approval is usually the soft pull/chexsystems they used when I applied for my Alliant savings account.

It's been hours since I heard back as PenFed was usually instant.

What does anyone make of this? Was It just marketing or what??

8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Alliant Credit Card

It's marketing, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Alliant can be more conservative than Penfed. They're known for sending those crappy preapprovals out..they really aren't preapprovals. I opt out of them after they denied me last year.
Message 2 of 9
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

If it gets denied, I will call up and ask for the HP to be removed.

I should have known better and for some reason, I thought it said pre-approvals' but i see they are 'pre-qualified'. ugh. I was half asleep when I opened the email.

I dont need/want any more cards.

I think I am going to call up now and check the status as I really only want the SSL.

Message 3 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Even their preapprovals aren't real. Lol
Maybe they changed the language after I called and complained. Normally if it's quiet this long..it's a denial. They are slow to notify you. If they do at all.
Message 4 of 9
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Well, I just called the LO who sent me the emails today and he told me I was declined due to too many new accounts, which I already knew would be the case.

I explained that I had read the email as a pre-approval and I would not have agreed to pull my credit asI knew it would most likely be denied.

He is going to send an email to his supervisor about having the HP removed and I got the # for him as well.

I told him that it would leave a really bad taste in my mouth if I end up not being able to get the HP removed, as the lingo slightly confused me.

I was very polite about it, as I didn't want to ruffle any feathers and it wasn't the LO's fault, either.,

I already have like 6-7 inq's so I suppose one more wont hurt lol blah

Message 5 of 9
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yeah, Alliant hates new accounts opened within the last 6 months.  It also seems that they aren't really interested in any type of recon.  Hope you can get your HP removed.

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good luck getting the hp removed, like GIJoe would always say, " KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!" Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 9
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

They won't delete it. You asked them to pull for credit.
Message 8 of 9
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I didn't ask them to do anything, but open a savings to do an SSL.

Me replying to an email saying 'check on it and let me know' wasn't me agreeing to pull my credit report. In my eyes only, of course. I'd be foolish to agree to a HP right now. I've read others here being approved off of a SP from their original account set up.

I agree that they won't delete it.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.