Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Secured Loan after membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant Secured Loan after membership

I joined Alliant Credit Union yesterday since I figured it may benefit me for the future.

My thought right now is to get a savings secured Loan. I have like 3000 in savings but I would probably do like 1000 to 2000 for the secured loan. Would this be a good idea? How long should I have the terms of the loan? 12 months? 24? etc...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Secured Loan after membership

@kilpela wrote:

I joined Alliant Credit Union yesterday since I figured it may benefit me for the future.

My thought right now is to get a savings secured Loan. I have like 3000 in savings but I would probably do like 1000 to 2000 for the secured loan. Would this be a good idea? How long should I have the terms of the loan? 12 months? 24? etc...

It will create a new favorable tradeline on your credit report so that may be a plus to some people. 

I think the terms are up to you.  Alliant has two types of secured loans -- one that requires monthly payments and one that requires only one payment at the expiration of the loan term.  I think a lot depends on what you wish to accomplish by getting this loan and what your finances allow.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would put the money right back into the savings account from the loan and collect the interest. I don't care to much for the terms as I will just use the loan money to pay the loan. I think I will do $1000. 

Does the length matter? Would it look better at 12 months vs 24 months? 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilpela wrote:

I would put the money right back into the savings account from the loan and collect the interest. I don't care to much for the terms as I will just use the loan money to pay the loan. I think I will do $1000. 

Does the length matter? Would it look better at 12 months vs 24 months? 

I'm not sure if the length matters or not.  If you apply for credit again in the future and they manually review your CR, perhaps the longer term looks better, but I am only guessing.  The good thing is that even if you choose 24 months you can always repay the loan early without penalty if you decide to do so.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Say I do the 24 month term and pay it off after 12, will it say it was paid on time for 24 months instead of just 12 on credit reports?

Thanks for the information O6. I am still a little new to credit and only know a little about credit cards. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilpela wrote:

Say I do the 24 month term and pay it off after 12, will it say it was paid on time for 24 months instead of just 12 on credit reports?

Thanks for the information O6. I am still a little new to credit and only know a little about credit cards. 

No, it will report the actual day you paid the loan off.  So, if you get the loan today and you pay it off, for example, on May 27, 2012, even though the loan was for 24 months it will show the payoff as 5/27/2012.  It will, though, show the original term was 24 months.

In my opinion, paying the loan off early looks good.  It shows you dislike unnecessary debt and handle your finances well.  Of course, were I a banker I might think it is not so good because that is one less year I could have sucked a little interest out of you.  Smiley Happy

One important thing to remember, though, is not to pay off the loan before it actualls reports the tradeline to your credit reports.  I did that one time and then the darned loan never, ever reported.  That was a perfectly bad waste of the $2.79 I paid in interest on the loan.  Smiley Happy

I routinely get unsecured loan offers from USAA and once or twice a year I accept them for $5k or $10k.  I select 48 months as the loan term, but I end up paying the loans off within 90 days.  I feel kind of bad because USAA earns minimal interest -- probably not even enough to cover the loan processing -- but now whenever I ask them for something they immediately say "Oh, you've got a stellar record with us.  We can give you the sky."  YMMV

Maybe consider going for 24 months and then pay it off early.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot!

I think I will do 2000 initially and then pay off quite a bit of it (maybe 1500) then pay the rest off slowly over the next year. That sounds like a good enough plan for me.

Thanks! 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilpela wrote:

Thanks a lot!

I think I will do 2000 initially and then pay off quite a bit of it (maybe 1500) then pay the rest off slowly over the next year. That sounds like a good enough plan for me.

Thanks! 

Sounds like a good idea.  I would, though, just make the normal payments for the first month or two until it reports to the credit bureaus.  Then hit them with a $1500 payment on the loan and the rest over the remainder of the year.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will make sure to do that.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.