Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Visa Signature increases annual fee to $99

tag
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Alliant Visa Signature increases annual fee to $99

Unclear what happens to existing cardholders.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Alliant Visa Signature increases annual fee to $99

If this is a trend, then I predict that the NFCU Flagship will soon raise its annual fee from $49 to $95 or $99.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This should please many hereSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 26
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Not a surprise at all!
Message 4 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think they need to recoup some of their money, so best way is to raise fee's. I would hope that current cardholders are grandfathered in, or at least for a few years, but I think all lenders are looking how to cut corners right now, and we will see this eventually from everyone.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.15.19 AM.png

Message 5 of 26
digitek
Established Contributor

This changes the math so that you now need ~$20k spend per year to make it equal to a normal 2% card with no Annual Fee...
Message 6 of 26
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@digitek wrote:
This changes the math so that you now need ~$20k spend per year to make it equal to a normal 2% card with no Annual Fee...

The old breakeven point of $12,000 was more than I was willing to commit to this card, putting it at the bottom of my wishlist.  The new breakeven point of $20,000 takes it off my wishlist completely.  Alliant’s statement that the card is for those who will spend $50,000 a year is finally true.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Blodreina wrote:

Unclear what happens to existing cardholders.

Alliant seems bound and determined to lose all its customers.

I've been a non-rewards platinum card holder for around 5 years, and used it primarily for no-fee balance transfers. Now they've added a balance transfer fee and raised their cash advance fee. Their interest rates were already much higher than my other credit union platinum cards.  So the card has become worthless to me.

Now it seems they're going after their cash back card with the same idea in mind: losing all their customers. There are so many excellent cash back cards out there with no annual fee, why on earth would anyone pay a $99 annual fee for theirs?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 26
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@digitek wrote:

The old breakeven point of $12,000 was more than I was willing to commit to this card, putting it at the bottom of my wishlist.  The new breakeven point of $20,000 takes it off my wishlist completely.  Alliant’s statement that the card is for those who will spend $50,000 a year is finally true.

It takes over $100,000/yr to hit 2.45%, that would round up to 2.5%

At $25,000 a yeay it is a 2.1% card

A big spender that needs no FTF (maybe), but big spenders that travel have travel cards (No FTF) and points that put 2.1 - 2.4 cashback to shame !

Message 9 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

For anyone with the income to spend $50k/year on a credit card, having $100k in retirement/cash/taxable accounts at BofA seems like a pretty low requirement for Platinum Honors on the Travel or Premium Rewards cards (2.625%). Premium Rewards has a $95 AF but a $100 airfare extras credit.

I never had any interest in this card, even at the old $59 AF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.