Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant is changing their 2.5% cash back card’s rewards terms

tag
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Alliant is changing their 2.5% cash back card’s rewards terms

I agree with a few posters who mentioned it above 

the card change too often. I don't know how long it's gonna last for this positive change 

Message 21 of 38
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

That's awesome that they're getting rid of the AF. The 1K AND DD aren't great, but it's better than and AF.

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 22 of 38
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Do they HP when you app for membership just for checking and savings?

I've been pondering switching my checking and savings over to them for a while now.  The one annoyance that gives me pause is there's only one ATM in my city that takes deposits for most CUs and there's ALWAYS a line.  I seem to need to make manual deposits less and less often though.

The terms of this card make the idea of signing up more attactive.  2.5% for no AF and no FTF is a very nice perk.  Of course I'd expect a HP for that.

Don't believe they do HPs for membership. When I applied for the card a couple years ago, I opened a savings account as part of the application and they stated the HP was only for the card app. I also just opened a checking account and there was no HP.

Which report do they pull?

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 23 of 38
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I think I'll take my chances with AOD next year I don't want to be required to have $1k stuck in their account for the 2.5% amongst other requirements.  Plus the constant changing terms got me with trust issues for alliant.  I'll app for the active cash and use it until I qualify for the AOD.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FalconSteve wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I've been pondering switching my checking and savings over to them for a while now.  The one annoyance that gives me pause is there's only one ATM in my city that takes deposits for most CUs and there's ALWAYS a line.  I seem to need to make manual deposits less and less often though.

The terms of this card make the idea of signing up more attactive.  2.5% for no AF and no FTF is a very nice perk.  Of course I'd expect a HP for that.

Don't believe they do HPs for membership. When I applied for the card a couple years ago, I opened a savings account as part of the application and they stated the HP was only for the card app. I also just opened a checking account and there was no HP.

They pulled TransUnion for me a couple years ago.

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly a product to keep an eye on but like others have said they do change terms a bit too often for my taste, I mean they could literally add the AF back beginning of the year. lol  If it weren't for that it would be a good consistent 2.5% earner. While I understand that all CC terms change periodically, or at any time, I don't want to have to app an all new card because  Alliant can't make up their mind from one quarter to the next. This product seems to haev had the most changes in the shortest time period as any other card so I would opt for a more stable issuer.

Message 26 of 38
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

I skipped over this one in April cause of the annual fee and got the 2x card. I was 4/6 at the time so I don't think they're all that conservative. At least for the 2x card. 

Message 27 of 38
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

See post #14 above.  Historically they pulled from EQ but switched a few weeks after their breach.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 28 of 38
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

If you can believe what there reps say, they use TransUnion exclusively on both new accounts and credit line increases. It is a hard pull to open a credit card account and for credit line increases. For new accounts, they ask for wacky stuff like you electric bill.

They are ulta conservative on credit extensions of any kind. And they don't care if you have a million dollars on deposit with them. They have a $15k min starting credit line (or at least they used to) and they have a $50k max on the signature visa.

I really don't like the new changes. The fine print says that if you don't "qualify" in any particular quarter (or month, I don't recall) then they drop your cash back rate down to 1.5% instead of 2.5%. I don't understand the mickey mouse requirement to have at least one deposit per month. What difference could that make to them? Sounds like they are looking for strings to limit the cash back percentage after you use the card.

The service sucks especially with the credit card. The credit card is farmed out to a third-party. Alliant has nothing to do with the service on the credit card. The company you call for problems on the card is the third-processor. I think they are located in North or South Dakota. I know because I sued Alliant twice for failing to properly process a disputed credit card charge and they insisted on a release of liability for the credit card processor as well as themselves.

And if you have a problem with Alliant itself like with a checking account of CD, good luck, you're on your own. Their reps are very poorly informed and give out all sorts of mis-information over the telephone. They have an lenghty hold time on check deposits, even if you have a million on deposit with them and they don't care how long you have been a customer. They wont vary one comma from the fine print in their agreement.

I suspect there will be a lot of disappointment for new customers when they find out they are getting 1.5% cash back (not the 2.5% they thought they were getting) because they forgot to make a deposit that month.

Yapsalot
Message 29 of 38
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@yapsalot wrote:

If you can believe what there reps say, they use TransUnion exclusively on both new accounts and credit line increases. It is a hard pull to open a credit card account and for credit line increases. For new accounts, they ask for wacky stuff like you electric bill.

They are ulta conservative on credit extensions of any kind. And they don't care if you have a million dollars on deposit with them. They have a $15k min starting credit line (or at least they used to) and they have a $50k max on the signature visa.

I really don't like the new changes. The fine print says that if you don't "qualify" in any particular quarter (or month, I don't recall) then they drop your cash back rate down to 1.5% instead of 2.5%. I don't understand the mickey mouse requirement to have at least one deposit per month. What difference could that make to them? Sounds like they are looking for strings to limit the cash back percentage after you use the card.

The service sucks especially with the credit card. The credit card is farmed out to a third-party. Alliant has nothing to do with the service on the credit card. The company you call for problems on the card is the third-processor. I think they are located in North or South Dakota. I know because I sued Alliant twice for failing to properly process a disputed credit card charge and they insisted on a release of liability for the credit card processor as well as themselves.

And if you have a problem with Alliant itself like with a checking account of CD, good luck, you're on your own. Their reps are very poorly informed and give out all sorts of mis-information over the telephone. They have an lenghty hold time on check deposits, even if you have a million on deposit with them and they don't care how long you have been a customer. They wont vary one comma from the fine print in their agreement.

I suspect there will be a lot of disappointment for new customers when they find out they are getting 1.5% cash back (not the 2.5% they thought they were getting) because they forgot to make a deposit that month.

Do you have personal experience regarding their levels of service toward a client with 7 figures worth of assets under their management  or are you speaking allegorically? 

The underwriters for their cards are Alliant employees but you are correct that the card management and support functions are handled by a 3rd party.

BTW the CSRs are correctly informing that they pull from Transunion.  They used to pull exclusively from Equifax but made the business decision to switch a few weeks after the 2017 Equifax data breach. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.