cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alright guys , NEW HERE , need help! Literally ..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright guys , NEW HERE , need help! Literally ..

So, what’s up guys I’m new here . 26 year old guy who loves credit stuff and learning about credit my scores are 760+ on all 3 bureaus , Okay question is ... I applied for the new Amex gold prg yesterday and got approved .. I have 5 credit cards (Wells Fargo platinum, Wells Fargo propel , Amazon prime , apple Barclays , and the capital one venture one) this will be my very first charge card , so I been reading some stuff that’s kind of scaring me from Amex .. I’ve read the card gets declined a lot and also Amex asks for a financial review ? Honestly , the only reason I got the card was because my fiancé really loved the rose gold card lol .. so I got it and adding her as an authorized user .. okay so I mainly got it for dining we eat out a lot .. we go to the Cheesecake Factory often ! So , that will b the main use of the card just for dining , so I won’t b using the card for large purchases much , only small charges , I am just scared Amex will do a FR if I only use the card for small charges , or what if one day I wanna make a large purchase ? So can anyone help me out here .. I really want to learn more . Thank you . Sorry for the long post !
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Alright guys , NEW HERE , need help! Literally ..

Stop worrying and enjoy your new card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

You won't be subject to financial review unless you do something creepy. Low usage won't cause it.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome , heavenohio Smiley Happy glad to b here and learn more about credit ! Thanks . Would you b kind enough to explain some of the stuff it might cause Amex to do a FR? Thank youSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is wonderful. Don't worry about use... I never see issues with charges being declined. The only comments I've see re AA/FR is when someone spooks Amex with behavior that would spook any credit card company.

Enjoy you RoseGold cards. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the welcome , heavenohio Smiley Happy glad to b here and learn more about credit ! Thanks . Would you b kind enough to explain some of the stuff it might cause Amex to do a FR? Thank youSmiley Happy

Sending a paypal payment to someone with the same last name is the only thing I have seen on here.  I believe they are pretty rare.  

Message 6 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not the best one to give examples, but I'll give it the good old college try. I'd say transactions that make it look like you're trying to funnel cash into your pocket rather than using a traditional cash advance could cause one. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll catch someone's attention and be appropriately corrected. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

AMex is the last card I would expect to get a decline on from my herd, given card present.

Cheesecake Factory *rocks*!!!

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info guys , that gives me some relief .. last question .. will having small charges , then out of the blue have a big purchase cause the FR? Or would it b a good idea to call Amex every time ima make a large purchase ?
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes , my fiancé loves it ! Hah
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.