Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altitude Reserve RTR Questions

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Altitude Reserve RTR Questions

Hey guys, a few questions for people with experience. I have about 60,000 points and my full travel credit still. I want to use an OTA to buy Disney tickets which will make it code as travel.

My questions; will the $325 come off immediately or can I use RTR to cover the charge before the credit triggers? Also, say a ticket is $400 do I need 40,000 points or do I need the lesser 26,666 points for the RTR option to be triggered? Lastly, when using RTR will I still get points for the purchase?

Thanks for any information you guys have!
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Altitude Reserve RTR Questions

@Caught750 wrote:
Hey guys, a few questions for people with experience. I have about 60,000 points and my full travel credit still. I want to use an OTA to buy Disney tickets which will make it code as travel.

My questions; will the $325 come off immediately or can I use RTR to cover the charge before the credit triggers? Also, say a ticket is $400 do I need 40,000 points or do I need the lesser 26,666 points for the RTR option to be triggered? Lastly, when using RTR will I still get points for the purchase?

Thanks for any information you guys have!

The travel credit ($325) takes longer to process than RTR. The travel credit may take between 2 and 5 days after the charge posts, so if it stays pending for a while, it may also delay the credit. 

As an example, here's how it'd work combining both travel and RTR credits. Purchase $400 of a qualifying RTR transaction, and you get a text message right away with the required points. You respond, "REDEEM" and the credit posts right away. If you check your card activity a little later, you'll see a pending credit for $400 already. Then, a couple of days after the purchase posts, the travel credit will show as well, so you kinda 'double dip.'

You don't need 40k points, you'll need the amount of points at the 1.5x conversion, so 26,6xx points will trigger RTR.

Message 2 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Awesome! Just to confirm I can use RTR at the lower level and avoid the credit processing? Then the credit can be used elsewhere when RTR isn’t used?
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 3 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:
Awesome! Just to confirm I can use RTR at the lower level and avoid the credit processing? Then the credit can be used elsewhere when RTR isn’t used?

The travel credit ($325) posts automagically, so you can't control that one. It will post even if you use RTR to redeem your points. It doesn't work like a purchase eraser, but simply a credit in your favor. However, if you don't want to use both your travel credit and RTR for the same purchase, you can ignore the RTR text and save your points for later. 

Message 4 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Okay now I follow, it’ll just drop the balance by $325 regardless. We have enough points for 2 of the 3 pass packages. The credit will cover most of the third. Do you know if you still get points for the purchase when you use RTR?
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 5 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:
Okay now I follow, it’ll just drop the balance by $325 regardless. We have enough points for 2 of the 3 pass packages. The credit will cover most of the third.

Yes, but here's another FYI, if you don't have enough points to cover all 3 packages in a single transaction, do not buy all at once. RTR isn't a partial redemption either. If you don't have enough for the entire purchase, RTR will not trigger and you won't be able to use any points. I'd break up the purchase so you can cover 2 packages with RTR points, then make a separate purchase to use your travel credit. 

The only way to redeem your points partially is by using the USB travel site, but I'd advise against that unless you happen to find a better deal on their travel portal.

Message 6 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Yes I remembered seeing that, thanks for the reminder! I’ll order one and allow the credit to post, then order the other 2 and use RTR. I checked and didn’t see anything at all, let alone something competitive, on their portal.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 7 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

The only way to redeem your points partially is by using the USB travel site, but I'd advise against that unless you happen to find a better deal on their travel portal.

Is the travel portal subpar.   That's what I am trying to find out before getting my daughter to apply.   She would be using the card outside the US when RTR doesn't seem to be an option.   So if the portal is overpriced or something, card is less appealing!

Message 8 of 20
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I don’t find the portal to be subpar. It’s run through Expedia similar to Chase’s portal. They have a lot of different options and I found some “off the beaten path” stuff in the Disney area on there that looked fantastic. It just didn’t have the actual tickets to Disney, at least not that I found.

*Edit for grammar
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 9 of 20
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

US bank does not consider OTA to be travel related for the credit. I can’t comment about RTR. They do have that other travel category for RTR but not sure what it entails.

Be prepared to call.

As far as the portal goes, it’s much better domestically then internationally but it’s still not bad internationally.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.