Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I Making a Mistake Using Amex Gold

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Am I Making a Mistake Using Amex Gold

Hello all...I am new to Amex, so I need some advice. I am paying about $2,000 a month of utilities through my Amex Gold (not PRG), and I don't see any points accumulating. Does the regular Gold not give any points for paying bills? Should I upgrade to the PRG? Currently I am paying the Cable, Car Insurance, Electric, Home Insurance and Cell Phone bills through it. Should I stop this asap...lol? Thank you for your help.

Edit: I also am doing this so I have a history of spend so when I app for the BCP it will go "easier" on me...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Am I Making a Mistake Using Amex Gold

How new to Amex?

MR points don't show up immediately.  There's usually a one-cycle delay.  If you've been using the card for two months or less, it's not abnormal for points to be held back. If you're already passed your second statement closing date, you should call customer service and ask.

Message 2 of 7
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

How new to Amex?

MR points don't show up immediately.  There's usually a one-cycle delay.  If you've been using the card for two months or less, it's not abnormal for points to be held back. If you're already passed your second statement closing date, you should call customer service and ask.

Thank you so much for your response. Yes...I have only made my second payment on April 8th. I got the card on 2/2013. I will wait until the 3rd statement to see if any points from the first statement appear. Thanks again.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 7
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

I would PC to the premier rewards gold card. Much better rewards. But if you only use it to pay utilities then you should PC to green. Your essentially paying 35$/year more for nothing.
Message 4 of 7
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

I want the PRG card but I can't justify the $175 AF
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 5 of 7
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

I say downgrade to the green. Paying 95$/yr vs 125$/year for the same rewards.
Message 6 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I say go ahead and app for BCE/BCP. :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.