Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I ready for AMEX?

tag
Backsightzero

Am I ready for AMEX?

Hello!

I was wondering if you guys/gals think I might be qualified for an AMEX card or if I should wait for a while. My Credit profile is as follows:

Income: $58K/yr, HHI Total ~$88K/yr

EX: Clean, no baddies, no lates, no derog/etc. 1 INQ (For the cap one), FAKOs have me between 720-770

Les Schwab - Other/Revolving? OPEN - 9yr/9mo. old,  Paid as agreed (Haven't used it in a LONG time) $479 High Bal., $0 Current

Omni Financial - Installment CLOSED, Paid as agreed, 9 yr old $2589.00

Omni Financial - Installment CLOSED, Paid as agreed, 9 yr old $4565.22

Cap One Secured - Revolving OPEN, Paid as agreed, $500 Limit, $36 Current (PIF each month, I just go about 5-8%) Opened Jan/1/14

TU/EQ:

Same Les Schwab and Cap one info above.

............................................................................................

So I was thinking maybe July. I'd really not like to put any more money down on the Cap 1 as I don't really NEED credit of any kind at this point. I'd really like to get the BCP, then I would use it for gas/groceries as I would hit the cash back limits easily but I know my file is thin.

Should I go for the BCP right off the bat or try for the green first to get in without potentially wasting a HP and build history for what, 6 months then go for BCP? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I ready for AMEX?

You could try it right now and at least if you don't get it, you will get a list of things to improve before trying again. But your lack of revolving history is a clear problem. You would have a better chance if you gave your secured card at least 6 months of history.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 6
Backsightzero

Thanks Dave! Yes, I wouldn't pull the trigger in any fashion until at least July. Are you referring to apping for the BCP directly or just go for the green?

Message 3 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I would directly apply for the BCP. I don't think that the card is so magnificent that its worth applying for a card you don't want with an annual fee in the hopes that it will increase your chances. Amex will pre-screen offers as well. You could try putting your credit info in on their website and see if anything comes up. If not, you need to keep gardening your new secured card.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 6
Backsightzero

Ok I will try that Dave, thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 6
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Backsightzero wrote:

Ok I will try that Dave, thanks for your help!

Some good advice from Dave. If you wait to July, apply for whatever AMEX you personally want. Don't settle. I did the pre-screen and it said I didn't have any offers, but I applied and instantly approved for $6,000. I have the Blue Cash Prefered and love it!! Good luck! 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.