cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I suppose to sign the back of Blue??

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Am I suppose to sign the back of Blue??

Whatta you good peeps think of this?

My ex-gf showed me a different twist she puts on it and seems perfectly logical.

Although i yet to been asked for any ID when using credit cards, for security she writes on the back of all her credit cards with permanent black marker "SHOW ID"
Message 21 of 36
titanofold
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
Whatta you good peeps think of this?

My ex-gf showed me a different twist she puts on it and seems perfectly logical.

Although i yet to been asked for any ID when using credit cards, for security she writes on the back of all her credit cards with permanent black marker "SHOW ID"

That isn't a signature and doesn't satisfy your card member agreement. Also, it doesn't make any sense grammatically as technically you're asking the person looking at the card to show his or her ID, not yours.

You can sign and also print 'See ID' in the box.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 22 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

So, there's a counter argument here: I'll steal your card, sign the back of it myself, and then go on my own merry little way with no one ever questioning a signature mismatch.

Most of the cashiers have no idea what they're actually supposed to do. It isn't part of the training. However, one day you will meet me, and I will turn you away for not signing your card. Or, at least make you sign the card first along with an ID.

I'm a jerk.

Right, I am surprised that people think this is a good idea.    The clerk will take the card in good faith (assuming that they check the sig at all).  At least in theory, the issuer can claim you are negligent (and you certainly violated the terms of the credit card agreement which clearly states that YOU must sign the card).   It's not clear that the test is that it must be your signature, just that the merchant will accept it if there is a match.

To me, not so very different from writing your PIN on an ATM card and being surprised when a thief is able to withdraw money.

Finally, I would expect that most theft involves say a wallet rather than just a single card, in which case your are likely to have other ID with a sig, that if they really wanted to, a theif could copy.

Message 23 of 36
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Yeah i know.

But for someone like her who makes it a daily practice to Max out their limit it struck me as odd and interesting at the same time.

It's true that the card's t & c require your signature per terms, but if i was an issuer i would have the client FAX or otherwise notarized a personal signature and electronically screen print it to the reverse of the visa/mc.

Common ink pens too readily smear and easily fade off.
Message 24 of 36
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:
There's the strip on the card then some whitish strip with small numbers on it.

That's it.  It's white so your signature doesn't show through on the front (though mine does show through).  Do none of your other cards have numbers in the signature strip?  All of mine do.

Message 25 of 36
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I did my signature really little on the strip with the numbers so it wouldn't be covered. I did use a pen that wouldn't smudge and I blew on it just in case.
Message 26 of 36
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

It does show through but not too bad. And yes all my cards, even my debit, have some numbers on the signature strip.
Message 27 of 36
titanofold
Established Contributor

If you pay attention, the first set of numbers is the last 4 numbers of your CC, and the last set is your security code. The majority of the cards have them in the white signature strip.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 28 of 36
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I wrote "See ID!" Really small on the part that doesnt show through to the other side of the card. I RARELY get asked for an ID, ever.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 29 of 36
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Where I live, merchants won't accept my ID. I either have to find cash or sign the back of the card. So I now sign all of my cards.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.