cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only person that is NOT impressed with their Amex?!

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Am I the only person that is NOT impressed with their Amex?!

Don't get me wrong I am flattered that I was approved and maybe I haven't had it long enought to thoroughly enjoy it (I just got it in December 2018) but the rewards aren't as good as my other card, the limit isn't as good and it takes 2 to 3 days to show payments etc ....it just seems to be lacking a lot more than my other cards?!      Is it worth the wait/build?    Anyone else have similar experience or positive experience to share?

Message 1 of 102
101 REPLIES 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I the only person that is NOT impressed with their Amex?!

Well, Amex has lousey cards too, it really depends on what you have.

Message 2 of 102
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Just relax and the let the  account grow and age. The rewards are identical to your Freedom Unlimited anyway. 1.5% is nothing mind blowing but it's a solid return on your spend and you can build a history with Amex.

I actually have the opposite experience with Amex. I find payments (and pending charges, etc) post fairly quickly compared to other banks.

Message 3 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Amex card do you have?

Many of us are quite happy with our Amex cards.

Edit: I see in your profile that you have Cash Magnet.

Since the Cash Magnet is a new card, you likely have not had it long.

Use it, pay in full, and it can grow over time.

Message 4 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

As with any card, by any lender, it should serve a purpose for you and you should have had that purpose in mind when applying for it. Buyer’s remorse sets in when a decision was made without knowing the full details of the card or just getting caught up in the “I’m preapproved for an AMEX. I’ll take it no matter what it is!” thinking. Additionally, as you go along if your needs change, your card line up may need to change too.

If it’s just a matter of not getting the SL you wanted, give it some time. AMEX becomes more generous as you build history. They seem to hand out SLs on the low side for first cards.

I’m very happy with my AMEX line up. Each card serves a purpose and does it well for what I’m expecting out of it. AMEX does some things very, very well (disputes, extended warranties, return protection, travel perks, etc.)
Message 5 of 102
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Give it time, and treat it well it will grown.  Use the card, pay in full or carry a small balance if you need too. After 3 months with the card apply for 3x CLI, it a softpull. Depending on your report and income its likely to be approved, after another 6 months to a year do it again. your $1000 card could be a  $9000 if they approve both, after another year it could be $27000. If they don't think your income is adequate for the limits they will counter with a lower limit. 

Check offers on the card, if they meet your needs, it could net you an extra $100 or possibly $200 in rewards for a card with a zero AF. Not bad. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 102
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I tried for the first 3X CLI last week I believe it was but they said they would send me out a letter and I haven't received it just yet likely it's just I haven't really used it to much but another Contributor did tell me that they do their own SP differently than the Payment and Statements so it's likely the amount I had on the card was higher before I paid it off a few days before payment due.      I did do a ton of research before picking this card as I did with my other because I didn't want the dreaded 5-10 pulls just seeing who would do best so I only applied for the Amex CM and the Chase FU I just can't help but feel the Chase is being better to me but I will be more patient I know some people can't even get an Amex period so I should definitely be greatful for that at the very least and in time I'm sure it will grow on me like with you guys.      Thanks for the encouragement!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 102
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Op:

Give it time, there are some good features on this card....

It looks like you got an initial CL which is on the lowish side for Amex... Can mean you squeaked by on the approval ....1K approvals tend to be slower growing than others... but stick with it.. 

In general if your new to Amex they do tend to start you off a little lower than you might expect.... 

Do look into amex offers.. these can be useful.... also a solid 1.5% CB is a good thing.. most 2% across the board cards require hoops and/or you do not get the full 2% at once or require direct deposit or something into a corresponding account ... you may be eligible for the 3x CLI in 2-3 months .. maybe not.. after using it for awhile at least the slow payment posting actually improved after I had the card for a little bit... 

It will eventually grow..

-J

Message 8 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure on your 2-3 day for your payments. When I pay via my bank account, it posts immediately and is reflected in my available credit.
Message 9 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

...I only applied for the Amex CM and the Chase FU I just can't help but feel the Chase is being better to me but I will be more patient I know some people can't even get an Amex period so I should definitely be greatful for that at the very least and in time I'm sure it will grow on me like with you guys.      Thanks for the encouragement!   Smiley Very Happy

I haven’t done business with Chase for many years because I just don’t like them, but don’t take my comments as bashing them, but in the long run, I think you’ll find AMEX to be much more generous. Generally speaking, the purse strings are much looser with AMEX. If I was you, I’d definitely give them a chance before you cast them aside. 

Message 10 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.