cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only person that is NOT impressed with their Amex?!

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Am I the only person that is NOT impressed with their Amex?!

I love my BCE. The rewards suit me well and it’s my highest limit card. My ONLY gripe with Amex is that the rewards take an extra month to post.  

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 21 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love AMEX.

My Gold card is usually the first card i take out of my wallet.

My Platinum gets very little use, however the benefits make up for that.

SPG if for no other reason, gets me a free anniversary night.

ED and BCE really I don't use much. ED is mainly a free MR place holder if i ever decide to get rid of the Gold and Platinum, and BCE will probably get rolled in the SPG at some point soon. Don't get me wrong BCE is a good card, but my head explodes everytime i have to think about where I am and what card I should use.

Never had issues with payments. My account always gets credited immediately, and payments are generally "pending" for no more than a day.

Message 22 of 102
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Cash Magnet as a PIF cash back card is like vanilla Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

It's good for what it is, but people who get enthusiastic about the brand tend to have more exotic interests.

BBP excepted, that generally means paying an annual fee.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 102
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

The Gold card is a Business card tho' no?!

Message 24 of 102
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

BBP what is that?

Message 25 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a lot of times we here on the forums tend to micromanage our accounts way more than most. For a general spend card the Cash Magnet is fine. Sure there's the Citi DC and other cards out there that may offer slightly better rewards, but the 0.05% difference really doesn't amount to a whole lot unless you are putting massive monthly spend through it. On my CM I may do $100-$200 a month through it, so I personally don't care about the extra $6-$12 a year I may be getting on another card since the other included benefits are worth more to me. We all have to make that choice for ourselves though.

As a first card with Amex, it's really not a bad choice since it offers decent cash back, and is flexible. Amex is known to be a company that is fairly easy to grow with, and it's a great foot in the door. The one downside is the $25 minimum for redemption, but even that's not really a dealbreaker.

Give it some time, and keep track of what types of purchases you are making on it before apping for another card based on what others say. Then look to see if there are cards that will better fit your established spend patterns. I think we all get to that point soon enough, but starting out building your card setup I see nothing wrong with the CM.

Message 26 of 102
red259
Super Contributor

I dunno. I'm quite happy with my amex cards. I can understand if you are disappointed with your credit limit. Amex is one of the easier credit limits to grow over time though, so if you are not paying an AF its worth keeping open. If you are not happy with your rewards or earning rate well that is totally on you and you should have researched the card better before applying. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 102
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Reviews were head to head with the CFU which is why I got both to see for myself how they would work plus I knew I wanted an AMEX and it seemed to fit best since I don't travel or own a business so it fit that aspect well.    I did several months of research before actually applying.   Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 102
elim
Senior Contributor

Chase vs Amex? I'm Chase all the way. My Chase service is A+ vs Amex. Not sure if it's because my 2 Chase cards are heavy hitter/AF or not, but as far as Customer Service, or just being engaged with my situations and needs, Amex is lacking vs Chase. So far, I can call the number on the back of any Chase card for my needs, and they get the job done. 50k limits with Chase vs 20k Amex may make me lean a certain way also. 4.5 years with both.

Message 29 of 102
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@elim I feel the same way I feel like Chase is doing better but could size of it all also play into it since Amex I believe is a bigger company?    Probably so too.     

Message 30 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.