Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I using my credit cards wisely?

tag
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

Am I using my credit cards wisely?

I've been trying to think this through, and I don't know what I'm doing is working. I'm trying to garden my cards until next summer so that I can apply to an Amex card. I have this strategy, but I have absolutely no idea if its working with me, or "hurting" me. First off, my plan was to keep my utl. as low as possible. What that means is with my 2 current cards that I have one card, for example, my capital one, I will pay off my entire balance every month and wait a couple of days so that it reports a $0 balance. I'll use that card after it gets reported, and pay off the balance that I've used at the end of the month, etc. While my other card, with a larger balance, I will pay it off early, and use it again to pay for gas, etc. so that when the statement pulls its only about 50-100$. I'm thinking that by using this strategy would work, but I haven't seen a big gain in my score numbers.
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I using my credit cards wisely?

you are right! leave one card to report a small balance for maximum scoring! keep gardening...you're doing just fine... Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
I've been trying to think this through, and I don't know what I'm doing is working. I'm trying to garden my cards until next summer so that I can apply to an Amex card. I have this strategy, but I have absolutely no idea if its working with me, or "hurting" me. First off, my plan was to keep my utl. as low as possible. What that means is with my 2 current cards that I have one card, for example, my capital one, I will pay off my entire balance every month and wait a couple of days so that it reports a $0 balance. I'll use that card after it gets reported, and pay off the balance that I've used at the end of the month, etc. While my other card, with a larger balance, I will pay it off early, and use it again to pay for gas, etc. so that when the statement pulls its only about 50-100$. I'm thinking that by using this strategy would work, but I haven't seen a big gain in my score numbers.

How long have you had both cards?

Also alternate which one reports a balance other than that you're good on the plan.

The reason I asked how long was if you just got them it will take some time for your scores to recover before you see gain

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 4
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

You're doing great by building your history! Keep it up!

You don't need to keep your Util so low unless you are applying for new credit or CLIs. Your credit score has no memory of past Util in the calculation, just current Util. Feel free to let whatever report, but make sure to PIF before due date so that you avoid interest. Then, next summer when you are ready to apply for new cards you can start focusing on Util about 2 months in advance of applications and that will be enough.

Personally, I find constantly focusing on reported Utilization a waste of time. I just always make sure I only spend what I can pay off, and PIF by the due date. Then, when it gets close to application time I fix my Util and I'm good to go!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.