Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 3x scenario

tag
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

AmEx 3x scenario

Good Morning, I’m trying to figure out how the 3x CLI might play out in this scenario. I have BCE with a 15 month 0% APR offer. Should I decide to treat myself with an expensive gift, and not PIF right away, how does AmEx view this? I’m thinking taking 3 months to pay off $500. Since I have the APR offer, I think it would not be good to use Plan It and obviously my payments are going to be greater than the minimum. I’m also planning on paying it down right away to avoid a penalty for high utilization on this card. Has anyone not PIF and still received 3x CLI?

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx 3x scenario

My first 3X CLI comes up in 2 weeks so I'm curious about what results people had showing utilization (and what percentage).

If it was me in your case, I'd wait on the expensive gift until after the CLI.  You have 15 months of 0%, why not just wait until month 3 to do it?

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

AMEX seems to be happy with any reasonable use of credit. In this case, with a $1,400 limit, I'd make the request with a balance somewhere under $400. How you arrive there probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's what I figure.  Since I only put $120/week on my BCP, it's kinda hard to overutilize my own $2k limit.  I do charge gas to it but my biggest gas fill-up ever was 2.1 gallons because that's how big my tanks in my cars are lol.  Wonder what Amex thinks of my $1.89 gas station charges at the pump, hmmm.

I PIF before the statement (26th this month, thought it was the 24th) and will be on a boat until January anyway, so it's not like I can run a balance at a grocery store when there are no grocery stores to visit.  But for others, I'd love to see some data points!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.