cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 90 wait period before apping for another card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx 90 wait period before apping for another card?

So I applied for the Blue Cash 3/28/11 and was approved.

I applied for the Blue Cash Preferred Card 4/27/11 (over the phone) and the guy who took my app said its being sent to another dept for review (most likely for the CL he said) but it looks like you've been approved because if you were declined it would have shown on his screen immediately. He told me to check the app status online in an hour, I was unable to do so. So I just called the next morning to the New Accts. dept. I spoke to a lady who said it looks like the app has been sent to another dept. for a line by line review.

I explained to her that when my Father added me as an Au on his AmEx early March, when amEx reported the card to EX they actually put my Fathers address as my current address, I had to call AmEx back to have them fix that, which they (kinda) did, when they reported the next month they put my correct address but instead of putting RDG (for Ridge) the put RD (Road) so I had to call EX and dispute that and within 8 hours I received an Email with the results, EX fixed it to RDG.

So the "New Accts. Rep" said that may have been the problem, just something that simple, we spoke a few more minutes and ended the call, I decided after the call to check my EX report for a hard pull from the night before when I applied, no hard pull, I called AmEx (New Accts) dept. back and spoke with another lady who said "its a good thing you called back, it looks like our system just has not processed your app yet, I'll do it for you manually" so she did, and within 3 minutes she said Congratulations, you've been approved. YaY.......not so fast.

When I got home I decided just to check the online app status and it said "Pending" wth??? I called back again and spoke to a guy who did not speak so good English and could barely understand him, so I let him talk and we ended the call, I called right back and got someone who spoke English and was told "oh no, you can't apply for an AmEx card but every 90 days" huh??? I was just approved on my last call I told him, he put me on hold and came back and said I've cancelled your app and will send to suppress the inquiry on your EX report. I was baffled 5 calls 5 different answers!!!!

I then said I'm gonna call back to the app dept and ask the rep if (it was a woman) she had known anything about not being able to apply for AmEx cards once every 90 days, she put me on hold, came back and said she had went thru everything she could and did not see that anywhere, so she wanted to do a three way call to the New Accts dept. so all three of us were on the phone, the app lady was explaining to the new accts lady the situation, the new acct lady put us on hold and came back a few minutes later and said its not a 90 period its more like a 30 day period and said that she had forwarded my app to her colleague in the (whatever dept, can't remember the name of it) and it will take them 7-10 days to review it and if approved another 7-10 to receive my card, and she also said don't worry I think it will be approved but no guarantee, I was completely confused.

I decided to call back today to the new acct dept just to ask if it would be best to just cancel that last app and re app, the lady put me on hold and when she came back she told me that I DO have to wait 90 to apply for another card. REALLY?????????? She said that it is in the review dept but will most likely be declined because its only been just about 30 days since my last app. she suggested just to wait to see what happens, if I'm declined the hard pull will be suppressed from EX (that takes 6-8 weeks btw) and if I'm approved the pull will stay, but she was pretty certain that it would be declined.

So in the end, about 7 phone calls and 7 different answers, I just do not get it.

I would have not made any further calls to them after the second call the next morning just to check the status, but after that call I pulled my EX report and saw no inquiry which led me to call just to make sure the app had been taken correctly, which apparently it had not according to the (third call new acct lady) who did it manually and said Congratulations, you've been approved.

All that said, what's the deal with all this, is it 30, 60, 90 day between apps????

Again, I would have made no further calls if I saw a hard pull on my EX report from the night before.

I wonder if I had just done the app online, if all of this would have been avoided??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Nightfallx
New Contributor

Re: AmEx 90 wait period before apping for another card?

you were denied with a 700? do you have an negatives?

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx 90 wait period before apping for another card?

I was not denied, I was told that I was approved, then told I applied too soon, then told I am probably approved and then told again I applied too soon. my EX Fico is somewhere just above a 710-720 according to the AmEx rep who couldn't tell me my actuall score over the phone, but when I asked if it was higher than a 710 he said yes, this was just the other day when I applied for the Blue Cash Preferred.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.