Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx BT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx BT?

Hi All,

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I guess my search skills aren't up to par. Smiley Happy

Anyway, like most people, I've been trying to get the CC debt down and some recent BT's have come my way that are very attractive at the moment (ie, 3-4% for the lifetime of the BT). The only way this will work out for me, though, is if I can get a BT (just temporarily) from AmEx, since it had a CL sufficient for this money shuffling. 

Is calling them up the only way? I'm really not into phone conversations in general. I don't why, it's just the way I am. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Re: AmEx BT?

Open your AMEX website.

Go to summary of accounts page

On upper right see column under (Mange your account)

About five or six gold buttons down click for (See all account services)

All of your accounts will show on this page when open.

Choose which card account you want to use and to the right of said card click (Make changes to this card)

When this opens , on the lower left of the page, click on the second blue bar that says ( Credit and balance transfers.

That's it. I do BTs with them all the time. If you have a good financial relationship with them it will be fine.

CI

@Anonymous wrote:

@psychic wrote:

After you login to your AMEX account online, look on your "Summary of Accounts" page for "CARD OPTIONS."  See if "Transfer a balance" is listed under this heading.

Message Edited by psychic on 03-02-2009 02:23 PM

Hmmm... No, it isn't listed. Does that mean they just don't want to give me a BT? As for CLD's, my CL actually went up! Only Cap1 and Chase refuse to give me a CLI, with Citi and Discover being the most generous to me. 

Thanks!

Message Edited by CHARGE_IT on 03-02-2009 09:21 PM
Message Edited by CHARGE_IT on 03-02-2009 09:22 PM
Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Locksley123
Regular Contributor

Good luck with AmEx. They have been prone to CLD and account closings lately, looks like they agressively cutting the risk down. So, I would be surprised if were able to talk them into high risk, low reward screnario for them. 
Message 2 of 12
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is calling them up the only way? I'm really not into phone conversations in general. I don't why, it's just the way I am. 

After you login to your AMEX account online, look on your "Summary of Accounts" page for "CARD OPTIONS."  See if "Transfer a balance" is listed under this heading.

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@psychic wrote:

Hmmm... No, it isn't listed. Does that mean they just don't want to give me a BT? As for CLD's, my CL actually went up! Only Cap1 and Chase refuse to give me a CLI, with Citi and Discover being the most generous to me. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Amex is currently in financial turmoil. It's completely feasible to me that they might have stopped accepting BTs altogether. They have enough of their own debt, they might not be accepting 3rd party debt anymore.

That's awesome Amex upped your CL recently. They've done quite the opposite for me, and many, many others with the current credit climate and all. 

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

DrDr wrote:

@psychic wrote:

Thanks!

When it comes to AmEx these days, there's a lot to be said for not having any part of your body appear over the top edge of the trenches, lest it be immediately blown off.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I just logged into my Amex account online. I have an option to Check the Status of a Balance Transfer, but not one to actually transfer a balance.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 12
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Open your AMEX website.

Go to summary of accounts page

On upper right see column under (Mange your account)

About five or six gold buttons down click for (See all account services)

All of your accounts will show on this page when open.

Choose which card account you want to use and to the right of said card click (Make changes to this card)

When this opens , on the lower left of the page, click on the second blue bar that says ( Credit and balance transfers.

That's it. I do BTs with them all the time. If you have a good financial relationship with them it will be fine.

CI

@Anonymous wrote:

@psychic wrote:

Thanks!

Message Edited by CHARGE_IT on 03-02-2009 09:21 PM
Message Edited by CHARGE_IT on 03-02-2009 09:22 PM
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, CHARGE_IT! I hadn't ever looked there before. Looks like AmEx likes to give me credit, but no BT love. Weird...

Message 9 of 12
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

You are welcome. They don't throw BTs around a lot

The first time I stumbled onto that area I was amazed and impressed. My initial response was to see what else I could find. It is a complicated site, and I still have to look for most things when I need them. I did double check those directions before submitting them to you. Glad you found it.

CI

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.