Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Backdating Question

tag
CraveMazda
Contributor

AmEx Backdating Question

Sorry if this has been asked before. I was just approved for the Zync - haven't gotten the card yet but was wondering about backdating. I was an AU on a gold card back in 1999 - should I wait to get my card before asking about backdating or can I call CS to request it now?

Thanks in advance.Smiley Wink

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Dbadup
New Contributor

Re: AmEx Backdating Question

Since the card was yours u can simply wait until it arrives.. Sometimes its done automatically. When it arrives and it's not backdated just give them a call..

NASA 30K|| Citi 10.3K|| Discover 20K|| AmexSPG/Everyday 10k/3.6k|| NordstromV 7.5k|| Bloomies5k|| Barcl.65K|| Cap1 3.25k|| Jcrew 17.65K|| ChaseFree2K|| CSP 5k
Message 2 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

When you register your card for online access, see what your member since date says when you log on.  Sometimes, even if the physical card arrives with a member since date of '11, they have the correct date in their system and it shows up when you log on.  If it says member since 2011 when  you log on, you'll need to call them to see about getting it backdated. 

Since you were an AU, they may not backdate the card.  They tell some people they don't do it for AU accounts, but there are tons of people reporting that they have had their accounts backdated when they were previously an AU.  If you do end up having to call, I'd probably just tell them you were a previous cardholder and the account was closed [date] and ask them if they can correct your member since date without getting into the AU status of the account. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
CraveMazda
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

When you register your card for online access, see what your member since date says when you log on.  Sometimes, even if the physical card arrives with a member since date of '11, they have the correct date in their system and it shows up when you log on.  If it says member since 2011 when  you log on, you'll need to call them to see about getting it backdated. 

Since you were an AU, they may not backdate the card.  They tell some people they don't do it for AU accounts, but there are tons of people reporting that they have had their accounts backdated when they were previously an AU.  If you do end up having to call, I'd probably just tell them you were a previous cardholder and the account was closed [date] and ask them if they can correct your member since date without getting into the AU status of the account. 

Thanks for the tip.

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 4 of 15
CraveMazda
Contributor

Oh one more thing. I was a card holder thru a corporate card for a company - does that count if they don't do the AU?

Message 5 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@CraveMazda wrote:

Oh one more thing. I was a card holder thru a corporate card for a company - does that count if they don't do the AU?

I think so.  When they were having trouble finding my previous account, they were going to give me the corporate account date, but then there was an issue with my corporate account having gone to collections because the last statement had a $5 charge and wasn't forwarded to me after I left the company.  I paid the charge a long time ago and have no adverse reporting because of it, but they said they couldn't backdate to that account because it wasn't closed in good standing.  Based on that exchange, I believe they will backdate to a corporate account so long as there were no issues with the corporate account (in the end they found my other account, so it all worked out for me).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 15
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@CraveMazda wrote:

I've usually heard they say no. But I was able to do it. 

I think the key factor when I did it; is that I manage both the corporate card, and my personal cards through the same online access. My Online Access & Corporate card say Member since 2008, but my personal cards both said 2010. 

When does your online access say you are a member since? 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 7 of 15
CraveMazda
Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

@CraveMazda wrote:

I think the key factor when I did it; is that I manage both the corporate card, and my personal cards through the same online access. My Online Access & Corporate card say Member since 2008, but my personal cards both said 2010. 

I don't have my card yet - just got approval today so I'll know once I have it and sign in online.

Message 8 of 15
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@CraveMazda wrote:

@Odiseous wrote:

@CraveMazda wrote:

I don't have my card yet - just got approval today so I'll know once I have it and sign in online.

If you don't already have a login for online access (for example if you used one for the previous Corporate card); then you'll be creating a new online profile, and it'll say 2011. Unless, perhaps, if you are able to get the card backdated, before creating the online profile. 

However; if you did have an online profile for the previous Corporate card; I recommend signing in using that old login ID, then add the new card to the old profile.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 9 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@CraveMazda wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before. I was just approved for the Zync - haven't gotten the card yet but was wondering about backdating. I was an AU on a gold card back in 1999 - should I wait to get my card before asking about backdating or can I call CS to request it now?

Thanks in advance.Smiley Wink

Since I've gone through this recently, in my case as the original card holder asking for backdating (I didn't use that term, I requested my original membership date) on my and my AU's card, I thought I'd share my experience. 

I'm thinking this mostly applies to your question if you enrolled in online account access already or plan to before your card arrives. If you enroll and they state "member since 1999" you're probably auto backdated already. In that case, I'm not sure I'd bother contacting them.

First, when you contact them in any way, do NOT bring up that you were an AU. I couldn't get a card for my AU with my original membership date. They get their own start date. If you have your old card, that will help. It proves that was YOUR date (even as an AU). The moment you bring up you were an AU is when you'll learn how some of the CSR's handle that (you don't want to know, from what I've read, AU is the monkey wrench easily thrown into the process). If they DO ask if you were an AU, you'll have to be honest but follow "yes" with "and that was my original membership date".

I called before I got my card after seeing online the account page listed member since 2011.  I had to call a couple times to get someone that understood it's one of the "privileges" of membership. I had to find my old account number, which is on the card (have it), the statement and cancelled checks. My card showed an earlier date than what Amex reported on my CR's (the "account number" on your reports is NOT the account number, it's a code, it will do you no good if you need  your actual number), I told them the date on the reports was fine (I wasn't going to complain over a 24 month difference).

The last person (4th) by the time I achieved my goal, said they'd overnight a new card (by that time, my card had arrived in the mail) which they did (UPS), with my original membership date), my AU's would still be 2011, even though my history would report to their CR.  Often, if they find you in their system, they'll automatically give you the original date. They could not find my old account without my help (even the old account number wouldn't bring it up, they had to put in a request then found it in archives, it [89] showed up online then I called card replacement to be sure of details and replace the 2011 card).

I've heard once it reports to CRA's it's harder to get them to give you your original membership date (backdating, again, I don't think I'd use that term). If your original membership date has not shown up online, you might want to call, tell them of your old membership (not mentioning AU, you were a member, that's all that matters).

When I closed my Amex Green in the early 90's over the phone, I was even told when I asked, that if I decided to join Amex again, that I would retain my original membership date (they even said that was one of the privileges).   I didn't think much about it then even though the CSR on the phone at the time mentioned it was beneficial. All I knew was I wasn't seeing any real "perk" to having and using the card and I was paying a fee every year for a bill that had to be PIF every month when I could pay cash, write checks or use other cards that would give me the option to carry over for free. 

When I called about backdating, I even told them it was the ONLY reason I applied and if I couldn't get that ONE privilege, I just paid to get an account, that with the HP and new status dinged my CR's. 

I would have hounded (become a distinct PITA) them all year until they either gave me the backdating, cancelled or FR'd because without that perk, I don't need or want it and would have closed it right  before the next fee was about to hit. I kinda think they know the backdating feature is what brings them a bit of their business and uniqueness. Otherwise a lot of people, including myself, wouldn't bother with them.

Hope I was of some help Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.