Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Consumers Out There--HELP!

tag
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

AmEx Consumers Out There--HELP!

Hi,

I just got a Gold Delta Skymiles card with a CL of 2K.  Sooooooo happy!  But, there is an annual fee after the year---do you think they will let me P.C. after a couple months or at the end of the year...because I'm not down to pay the annual fee (I don't fly too much).  Please share your experiences with AmEx in terms of them Product Changing! 

Thanks!!

AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Consumers Out There--HELP!

usually with AMEX you can PC after 13 months

Message 2 of 12
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I got an SPG last May (first AMEX) and PC'd to BCE in June. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 3 of 12
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

With the new CARD act, if you are PCing to something with an AF, you need to wait the 13 months. I'm not sure what Amex's rules are on PCing to a non-AF card though. If you do have to wait the 13 months, you'll get billed the AF for the Gold card, and at that point, you might as well keep it and then PC right before they charge you your 3rd year AF.

Message 4 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

With the new CARD act, if you are PCing to something with an AF, you need to wait the 13 months. I'm not sure what Amex's rules are on PCing to a non-AF card though. If you do have to wait the 13 months, you'll get billed the AF for the Gold card, and at that point, you might as well keep it and then PC right before they charge you your 3rd year AF.

American Express in my experience has ALWAY either pro-rated the AF if I PC to an account with a lower AF or no AF or even the entire amount if closing the account.  I have even had the Platinum Delta for over 3 months and talked about the rewards and how what I needed was not what I thought and she still gave me the ENTIRE AF back and I believe waived the AF for 1 year on the PC... of course this was back when i managed MANY Amex accounts.... but still none the less, Amex has always been pretty good about working with what worked for me.

Message 5 of 12
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@FabulousDtheBruin wrote:

Hi,

I just got a Gold Delta Skymiles card with a CL of 2K.  Sooooooo happy!  But, there is an annual fee after the year---do you think they will let me P.C. after a couple months or at the end of the year...because I'm not down to pay the annual fee (I don't fly too much).  Please share your experiences with AmEx in terms of them Product Changing! 

Thanks!!

Why would you apply for a credit card with an AF that you were aware you did not want to pay?

If you want in the AMEX family why not just apply for the HHonors.  My understanding is the approval tiers are about the same.

What do you plan to PC to if you can?

Message 6 of 12
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

Because I heard the Gold Delta is easier to get...

And prob. The BCE.
AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 7 of 12
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

And prob. The BCE.

I do not think they let you PC if you do not qualify for the higher cards. 

I believe they normally show you your pre-approvals on their website under the search cards function when you log in so you could keep an eye on it over the year.

Worst comes to worse pay the fee for a few years, run big money through the card, PIF every 4-6 weeks, build your relationship with AMEX, and then use your points for a flight for a vacation when you get the card you desire.

The annual fee is not that bad if you rack up the points, and take vacations.

Message 8 of 12
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

Ha, I'm 20 and a college student. I don't fly much. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

And prob. The BCE.

I do not think they let you PC if you do not qualify for the higher cards. 

I believe they normally show you your pre-approvals on their website under the search cards function when you log in so you could keep an eye on it over the year.

Worst comes to worse pay the fee for a few years, run big money through the card, PIF every 4-6 weeks, build your relationship with AMEX, and then use your points for a flight for a vacation when you get the card you desire.

The annual fee is not that bad if you rack up the points, and take vacations.

Delta did for years back a while seemed to be easier to get but not sure these days.

However I KNOW that PC have NOTHING to do with qualifying credit wise for other tiers... once approved rather it was blue or delta reserve, as long as over 12 months or not going up in AF you can PC into many things... From Delta you will rpbably have the ability for blue, other Delta, Jet blue, and probably one or both hotel cards they offer.

what's available for PC depends on what program you currently have.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.